1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gazzmadhead, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gazzmadhead

gazzmadhead Thread Starter

Hi I have a Compaq presario SR5109uk and I would like to upgrade the 1.6ghz duel core cpu to around a 2.0ghz cpu or bigger is this possible, or could you tell me what is the biggest I can use in my Pc and the type of chip its is please.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1015 Mb
    Graphics Card:
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 144788 MB, Free - 124249 MB; H: Total - 7828 MB, Free - 998 MB;
    Motherboard: Foxconn, Lucknow
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. BigTobster

BigTobster

Yes it's possible.

You can use these

Socket type: 775
    Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Core 2 Duo E4x00 with Dual Core technology (Conroe) up to E4400
    Pentium E2000 series (Conroe) up to E2160
    Pentium D 9xx with Dual Core technology (Presler) up to 960
    Pentium 4 6x1 series (Cedar Mill) up to 661
    Celeron 4xx series (Conroe) up to 440
    Celeron D 3xx series (Cedar Mill) up to 365
    Celeron D 3xx series (Prescott) up to 355

See this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3549108&lang=en#N101

But it's always a good idea to keep costs in mind. £100 new processor to keep a £100 PC alive may or may not be worth it :)

3. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

What are you hoping to achieve by updating it? It's one of those parts you almost never update unless you are replacing the motherboard/RAM/CPU (ie, you are building a new computer).

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You haven't advised why you want to upgrade the processor.

If you're looking for more speed and "snappiness" in that desktop, the easiest and cheapest solution is to max it out with 2 GB of DDR2 PC2-5300 RAM.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. BigTobster

BigTobster

I agree with the sentiments of Flavalee and matthew :)

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

IMO unless you get the cpu for free or just a few $, it is not cost effective to upgrade. The performance of the pressler and or prescott core cpus is just not that good. Even a p4 960 [which the specs say your board supports] is not a good performer. Another fact to consider; your system shipped with a 300W pw supply. Installing a pw hungry pressler core cpu is going to require more pw AND it is going to generate more heat. Your case must be able to dissipate the extra heat energy.

As I said above unless you get the cpu for free, I would NOT invest any money into that old of technology. The 945G chipset was released in 2005 and is now going on 8yrs old; that is a lifetime in the computer world.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice