Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU Upgrade

1K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8191 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (250 GB Free); D: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
Motherboard: MSI, 760GMA-P34(FX) (MS-7641)
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I currently have 200 dollars in my budget to upgrade my CPU since i'm 90% sure its bottle-necking my GPU. I was wondering if the CPU's i'm currently looking at are compatible with my computer and would be a good fit.

I'm currently looking at
AMD FX-6350 Vishera 6-core 3.9 GHz on newegg for 199.99$
And also the AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5 GHz Also on newegg for 173.89$

Are these good fits for my PC?

Here are links to the CPU's I think are good fits for me
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4M10136
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE81W1559

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#3 · (Edited)
The 6350 will work with your board however [IMO] you are wasting money. Your motherboard uses a 10yr old chipset and in the tech world, that is multiple lifetimes. Trying to game with old hardware is an exercise in futility.

The 6350 is/was a great processor; overclocks well and does not run too hot. When I had one, it was clocked up to 4.4gig [I think since it has been a long time]
Still using that processor in my home theater system [running at stock speed]

#5 ·
The 8350 has the best benchmarks of the 3 and it's a lot cheaper so yes I think it's the better buy. If you want it I would buy it soon, the low price ends on Saturday.

I don't think your ram (is it ddr3 ?) would work in a new motherboard, you would need ddr4 ram and it's expensive.

I would get an SSD and clone your hard drive onto it, it will be a good speed boost from the mechanical hard drive. This looks like a good deal to me but it's on Backorder :- https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147673&ignorebbr=1

#8 ·
Just a word of advise. The 8350 is fine with the stock cooler as long as you run it at stock speed. If you intend on overclocking, then you will need a better cooler. If your processor comes with the Wraith Cooler, those are fine for a moderate overclock.

#10 ·
The corsair liquid cooler will be fine. The 10xx series cards need a uefi bios and your board is too old to have that type of bios. Sometimes a 10xx card will work; depends on the card mfg and IF they include a legacy switch to use a legacy bios. It is hit and miss IF it will work so I would say no stick with your current video card.
This is just one of the reasons why I said you are wasting money investing in this old of hardware.

#11 ·
Damn that sucks. So best bet I feel is to just get the CPU, and get a mother board upgrade later when I can add a bit more money to my budget. And just bite the nail and get a motherboard and ddr4 ram too. What board would you suggest that has a am3+ socket and would be good for future upgrades like a new GPU if you don't mind me asking.

#12 ·
I wouldn't say your system is ancient what crjdriver said. You should think of buying a new computer that supports Windows 10. crjdriver should have said this. Your computer is ancient to Windows 10 standard requirements. I recommend save the money and increase it for a future computer build. You will need a new processor, a new motherboard, and new memory.

Soon you should upgrade to Windows 10 because Microsoft stops supporting previous Windows versions. For Windows 8.1, Microsoft will be stopping support until 2023. Windows 10 is 2025.

You can try using Linux if you want an operating system that provides security updates without forcing a hardware upgrade.

#13 ·
Wind10 has nothing to do with the issue; it is a problem with a nvidia 10xx video card and a legacy bios. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work.
The motherboard uses a chipset released in 2009; nine years is pretty old in the tech world especially if you want to run modern video cards.

#16 ·
Update. I got the CPU and its in the mail, and still have 130$ in my budget. I honestly want to get the Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB OC Video Card . It's a big upgrade judging off userbenchmark.com . I also put it together with the rest of my system on the pc part picker and it says no compatibility problems. Honestly feel like it's worth it over a SSD. I'm not really going to be using this PC for anything more than fortnite and WOW, And CSGO. I honestly have no problem with buying this GPU for 130$ and seeing if it'll be fine in my computer. If it doesn't work or my "ancient motherboard" can't support it or use it, i'll just return and get my money back. And either use that money towards a SSD, or save a bit longer to get a motherboard and ram upgrade instead. I'd like to hear your opinion though!

Again i'm not really looking for an insane PC just something that'll run 100+ (ish) frames on low settings at 1080p. And if the GPU works with my computer that'll basically be what I need.

#19 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.