1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sonicb64, Aug 22, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Sonicb64

Sonicb64 Thread Starter

I have a A320M-DS2 motherboard with an AMD A8 9600 onboard. I want to upgrade my cpu but I don't know which to buy. Any ideas?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The fastest processor that board can use is the 2700X. Here is the list of supported cpus;
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-A320M-DS2-rev-10/support#support-cpu
    Do understand that your motherboard is a basic board ie it is designed for running office, email, etc NOT any type of performance. In addition, the 320 chipset does not support overclocking of the processor.

3. Sonicb64

Sonicb64 Thread Starter

Thank you crjdriver. That's what I expected. Does it matter what
    Ridge one uses or can I use any of the ones on the list? At the moment I've a Bristol Ridge

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can use any processor on the list as long as you are running the bios shown on the far right of the page OR update to that bios or a later one prior to making the switch.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Note if you do update the bios, be sure you read and FULLY understand the flashing procedure. While a bios update is not difficult, an incorrect or corrupted flash can render your board unbootable ie junk.
    The only way I ever update a bios on a gigabyte board is by using QFlash which is a utility built into the bios. Using a windows based bios update program is [IMO] just asking for a problem.

I just looked at the support page for your board. Looks like the latest bios you should use would be F31. When you see a suffix ie F40b on a gigabyte bios, it generally means that is a beta bios. Release bios would be something like F31 or whatever.

6. Sonicb64

Sonicb64 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I think that I may just buy a new motherboard. I want to play games and as you said mine is a basic motherboard. Any suggestions on a decent micro ATX motherboard and cpy that's not to expensive?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Generally performance boards are not micro; they are standard atx size. I use this asrock board;
    https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4/index.asp
    Overclocks well, very good sound [sound blaster cinema5]
    Use the same 2700X and you will have a very fast system. Pair that with a decent video card and a minimum of 16gig of ram and it will play just about anything.

8. Sonicb64

Sonicb64 Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your help. I will take your advice and get myself a complete new system.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice