1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cris 3, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cris 3

cris 3 Thread Starter

Any opinions on Athlon XP processors?

I am thinking about upgrading from a Duron 800 to a Athlon1.4GHz.

Will I get a substantial improvement?

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

i had a 750 duron processor in my compaq. i went to a 1.1 athlon and saw a big differance. if your board supports it i would go higher than 1.4 as it wouldnt be much more expensive

3. RSM123

RSM123

Any increase in performance you get from a better CPU will be dependent on the other components you have in your setup - perhaps you could supply some information on your pc (or the one you intend to put together) ..

Motherboard / CPU / Graphics Card / Ram.

In the meantime check here :

http://www.tomshardware.com

And use their Search feasture as they have detailed benchmark tests for each aspect of pc hardware.

4. cris 3

cris 3 Thread Starter

Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 motherboard, NVIDIA GE Force2 card, 320Mb RAM, Duron 800.

The fastest processor this board will support is the Athlon 1.4G 200FSB.

Is this worth upgrading to?

5. Annorax

Annorax

Upgrading your processor to anything at least about 500mhz faster than you have now will yield a noticeable difference. The Athlons also have more cache memory than the Durons do.

6. RSM123

RSM123

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

What is your goal with the upgrade?

1 - does your machine feel slow? (To me, I like AMD XP2000+ and faster CPUs) if not, then don't worry about. But then, you may have Windows issues that can severely slow down your machine... such as your c:/temp (folder) - empty it... or how big as well as your temporty Internet folder (which typically works best from the dos prompt).

2 - What do you want youe machine to be faster for? Gaming? 3DWork/ Video?

3 - what is your budget?

For example, a AMD 1.4Ghz CPU should be around $50 new, maybe $25 or so used.

8. putasolution

putasolution

Personally, I think it would be more econonically viable to upgrade your mobo and CPU rather than to replace the CPU alone.

Your GA-7IXE4 will only support the 200FSB version of the Athlon and on pricewatch, the cheapest that that particular CPU can be obtained for is $141

I think I would rather spend that on a mobo combo, getting a Athlon XP 2600+ with fan, for around $160

9. compilerxp

compilerxp

YIKES!! That's high... but thats because its a bit of a rare chip to run at 200mhz... But who knows, perhaps the poster can get it for $50 - that's the most I'd pay for such a chip.

Otherwise, pick up a KT-400 Chipset board for about $50~70 (I recommend MSI for the budget - includes onboard audio & very good NIC) I'm about to sell a used one to a friend for $40 in perfect condition. Then pop in an AMD XP2600 with fan (retail version) for about $100... But he would have to buy NEW RAM for the newer boards... $50~60 = 256mb or $75~90 for 512mb.

$250 - roughly for CPU, Mobo & RAM

Could go low-end and get an ECS board which would allow use use of slower RAM... those boards are about $40~50, not high on performance. But would save on spending RAM now. (I wouldn't do it)

An AMD XP 2600 on a new board would be about twice as fast as the 1400...

10. putasolution

putasolution

I agree, compilerXP , hence my suggestion for an alternative, the ECS K7S5A for me isn't a bad board, and even with an Athlon 2000XP+ inwhich can use his existing SD ram OR DDR ram at $37 for the mobo and CPU at $59.

I have an ECS K7S5A, 1800XP with DDR, as a server and quite honestly, it is a superb bit of kit for no outlay

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

An Asus AV8X-X is only $64.00 @ newegg; with free shipping. This is a very stable board without the problems of ECS boards.

12. putasolution

putasolution

Little devils to upgrade your RAM though if you have an AGP card , but yes, a very stable mobo ;)

13. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

cris3: IF you want to go cheap as you can:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=19-104-157&refer=Dealtime

This is your cheapest way to more speed( it won't double it, but it WILL be noticeable especially since the cache is higher-192k.)

For ~$250 you may be able to purchase a quality mobo (Asus), an AMD cpu(2500+ Barton) and 512MB ram and get significant gains for now and in the future. A hard drive upgrade would be in order also as your present mobo only supports ATA66. Very little moola- get the 1.3 Duron. Plenty of moola- time to build new!

14. plschwartz

plschwartz

15. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

plschwartz: The cheapest price on the link you provided was $96.00!!Link info:

$ 96.00 CPU-AMD-A1200/PGA 227567

Microstorm.com $108.00 See Site Yes CA 09/17/03 No
    Memory 4 Less $96.00 $6.95 Yes CA 09/17/03 No
    ComputerHQ.com $101.00 See Site Yes CA 09/17/03 No

The price at newegg was $40 plus FREE shipping.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice