CPU upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

silverhalo

This is a newbie question:
If I wanted to upgrade from a cpu of 800mhz AMD Athlon to 1Ghz or so ... what do I needed to find out from my mother board, socket ...etc so I can know whether the mother board support it ??
Another question is: Is this worth it? or just purchase a new computer ??

Please explain in plain terms. Your help is greatly appreciated

athlons of that speed came in two sockets a alot a socket and a socket462 (socket a) if it is a socket 462 you can go as high as 1.4 thunderbird but those are more expensive then 1.2 because they are rare almost more cost effective to get newer mobo and processor

Upgrading from 800MHz to 1GHz is a waste of money; you won't even NOTICE the speed increase. Some of the early Slot A motherboards won't support a CPU beyond 800MHz, while some of the early Socket A motherboards won't support anything faster than one gigahertz. You're looking at a money pit for very little improvement in speed; your best bet is to start saving for a new system.

Remember, you can buy a brand-new Ford Mustang for about $30K, which includes a warranty, but buying the parts individually and building it yourself will cost at LEAST $100K JUST FOR THE PARTS. That doesn't include the labor charges, and you DON'T get a warranty...

Find a good price on a complete system, and use the old system for e-mail and web-browsing, or donate it to a charity.

Good luck; Happy New Year.

crjdriver

I agree. The only difference you would notice MIGHT be on a benchmark. In any real world app there would be no difference at all.

Save the money and use it toward a modern amd64 system. You will be much happier in the long run.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online