1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kenzienic, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenzienic

kenzienic Thread Starter

Hi, I have a standard hp pavilion a6530f. I have only added a gt 9800 graphic card. Anyways my question is what is the fasted CPU I can replace my stock CPU with. It should be an easy question for someone with a bit more knowledge then me. The HP website says it supports (I will copy and paste below what is stated on their site).

Socket type: AM2+
    Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

• Phenom with Quad Core (Agena) technology (AM2+) up to 9600 (up to 95 watt)
    • Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology X2 up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
    • Athlon 64 less than 4000+
    • Sempron less than 3800+
    • -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • I would like to go with the phenom quad core but the part that say up to 9600 ( up to 95 watt) is the part I don't understand. If anybody can help me choose what Phenom that would be(please give exact part number). Or if someone thinks I should go with another processor I would be glad to listen to your reasons. Happy holidays.
    • Regards,
    • Darrin

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

3. kenzienic

kenzienic Thread Starter

Thanks leroys1000. I've tried calling all these computer places with that information and could not get a straight answer. Thanks for the quick reply. It helps a lot.

Darrin

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just my opinion however I would NOT waste money on this project. The 9600 and all even number quads had problems that need a bios update to fix. My guess is hp has NO interest in releasing a bios update for this purpose. The problem was fixed with the -50 cpus ie 9750, 9950, etc. Next those cpus are really not good performers anyway. The newer line of am3s offer much better performance.

Really big box systems like hp, dell, etc are not really upgradeable in any real sense. You can add more ram or a larger hd, however with cpu upgrades, the mfg has no vested interest in you buying a faster cpu; they would rather you bought a new system.

From the specs on your system, it came with a 3core 8450. Any of the available upgrades are not going to give you any big boost in performance.

Save your money until you can either build a system or if you do not want to build your own, have a local shop do the building for you.

5. kenzienic

kenzienic Thread Starter

Thanks crjdriver for the advice. I probably will just stay with what I have and get a bigger monitor first. I thought maybe since mine is a phenom X3 a phenom quad core processor would give it a bit of a boost. I do wish I had a faster computer but it's still does ok.

Darrin

6. dant22185

dant22185

You can manage a build rather cheap too. Just have to know what to look for.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice