CPU usage 100% explorer.exe culprit (revisited...again)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

prophet1

So, after having once again closed this issue down as solved it has again reared its ugly head.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1084023-solved-cpu-usage-100-explorer.html

Its occurrence appears random. I can boot for days without the issue and then it will appear for no apparent reason for a few days and then disappear.

Each time it appears I try the clean boot process as set out in the earlier thread but it doesn't alter anything. It simply appears and disappears apparently randomly.

Any other ideas guys?

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Is this a HP computer? If so, what model?

The next time you notice a CPU spike with explorer.exe, open Process Explorer, right-click and kill the Wilog.exe process. I know you've already tried disconnecting your 3Connect dongle, but try it anyway.

prophet1

Hi Phantom, appreciate you picking this up again.

Having put up with this for the past week, this morning when I booted up the issue has again disappeared. Must have known you were back on the case so I'll keep this on hold until it reappears then I'll follow your instructions.

That said, I have noticed something odd happening. Yesterday, fiddling with the System Config Utility as part of the clean boot process, a message popped up denying me access suggesting that I wasn't logged on as Administrator. This hasn't happened before and I know I'm logged on as Administrator. Could this be related in any way?

prophet1

Ha. Forgot to answer your question.

No, the machine is a refurbished Compaq Presario I bought second hand. Just to use whilst temporarily back in the UK.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
That said, I have noticed something odd happening. Yesterday, fiddling with the System Config Utility as part of the clean boot process, a message popped up denying me access suggesting that I wasn't logged on as Administrator. This hasn't happened before and I know I'm logged on as Administrator. Could this be related in any way?
It's a common error on XP. I did get it myself a few times, but it doesn't seem to affect the System Configuration Utility in any way. I don't know why it's happening or exactly how to fix it. However, there is one known cause for it, related to a HP printer, and you do have one.

http://www.pchell.com/support/msconfig_access_denied_error.shtml

The error might simply be related to one of your Services or Startup items. Changing permissions for its related registry key under the following Run keys might fix it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Avast could be responsible as well. When modifying anything inside msconfig, Windows attempts to change the registry settings for everything in the list. When Windows reaches the Avast items and attempts to change them, Avast may be preventing this from happening, thus triggering that error message. This is a good thing from a protection standpoint, as malware could otherwise use the same mechanism to shut down your Avast protection.

prophet1

It's a common error on XP. I did get it myself a few times, but it doesn't seem to affect the System Configuration Utility in any way. I don't know why it's happening or exactly how to fix it. However, there is one known cause for it, related to a HP printer, and you do have one.

http://www.pchell.com/support/msconfig_access_denied_error.shtml
Yes. I have an Officejet 635 all in one device which I bought, oh so long ago, but now only use the sheet feed scanner facility.

Checked for the service, PML Driver HPZ12, as mentioned in the link but it isn't there in the registry editor.

The error might simply be related to one of your Services or Startup items. Changing permissions for its related registry key under the following Run keys might fix it:

Er, come again? I'm not that clued up.:eek:

I also attempted to disable Avast through services.msc but simply get "Access Denied".

prophet1

Is this a HP computer? If so, what model?

The next time you notice a CPU spike with explorer.exe, open Process Explorer, right-click and kill the Wilog.exe process. I know you've already tried disconnecting your 3Connect dongle, but try it anyway.
Hi Phantom, me again, unfortunately.
So, after just over 2 weeks the explorer.exe issue has, predictably, reappeared for no apparent reason.

As you suggested I've just killed the Wilog.exe process but it hasn't made any difference. explorer.exe continues to run at around 97% cpu usage.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
How long does that high CPU usage for explorer.exe last?

Were you doing anything special?

Have you noticed if Avast was perhaps running a scan?

prophet1

Hi Phantom

CPU usage for explorer.exe stays high permanently until it disappears, probably in a few days time. To get any work done I open the application then disable explorer.exe.

Haven't been doing anything special at all. Simply boot up to check emails, correspond and surf the web

No indication of Avast running any scan.

prophet1

Yes, I did read about this windows bug when investigating the issue some time back.

But again, having booted up this morning the explorer.exe issue has disappeared.

What I'll do is create a restore point now and when the issue reappears which, going on previous form might be tomorrow or next month, I'll try following the steps indicated in the Kioskea.net article and report back as and when

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online