1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU usage 100% while ingame

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ryanjp89, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryanjp89

ryanjp89 Thread Starter

Well, this started a few days ago. When I first got this computer, it'd run games perfectly, and have no drops in frames per second. recently after playing a few minutes while in game, I'll get horrible FPS drops and it'd become unplayable. I haven't installed anything recently, except windows updates.

I thought it was an overheating problem, but temperatures are fine.

I thought maybe spyware, so I scanned with various anti virus/spyware, and nothing came up.

This also happens on other programs that require more memory, but as said before this didn't start happening untill a few weeks ago after installing windows updates.

any suggestions?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

How much RAM is on that computer?

Have you tried updating your video driver?

Can you identify the process hogging that CPU?

You could download and run the free Process Explorer. You'll be able to precisely identify the culprit. By right-clicking on the process showing high CPU and selecting Properties… > Threads tab, you'll be able to pinpoint the thread that's hogging CPU within the process. You'll need to slide the bar left of CSwitch Delta in order to see the CPU values.

Process Explorer doesn't require any installation. Simply run the executable file once downloaded. Then, configure the Process Explorer window to your liking. You can even replace the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) by clicking on Options > Replace Task Manager. You'll get a lot more features and details than with the Task Manager.

To determine which Process might be hogging CPU, click on the little graphs located at the top right of the window. A new window with four graphs will open, the first one being CPU. Click inside the window and press the spacebar to freeze the display. This will make it easier to hover your mouse cursor over the CPU peaks in order to read which process(es) is/are creating them.

3. ryanjp89

ryanjp89 Thread Starter

I have 2 gigs of RAM. it seems like the game causes the 99% cpu usage, and whatever else program I use like photoshop, or firefox when it's viewing a movie or whatever. because when I minimize and look at task manager, the game isn't using much cpu usage.

I updated all my drivers and still have no luck.

4. Phantom010

Maybe your computer is overheating?

5. ryanjp89

ryanjp89 Thread Starter

I thought it was that, the temperatures are fine. fan is running great, and I have a program to monitor the temp.

6. Phantom010

Try a Memtest to test your RAM. Burn the ISO image to a CD/DVD and boot from it.

7. ryanjp89

ryanjp89 Thread Starter

Is there an alternative? I don't have any blank CDs ATM.

8. Phantom010

Can you buy some?

9. ryanjp89

ryanjp89 Thread Starter

it'd be a while, that's why I was wondering if there was another way.

10. Phantom010

Not that I know of. I don't think there's a version for a USB flash drive but I could be wrong. And, your computer would need the ability to boot from a USB flash drive, which only recent ones can.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!