1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Usage 60%?? Is that right?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by louisj23, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

OK, just built this new comp...
    ASUS M2A-VM
    AMD FX-62
    2GB DDR2 800 mHz
    250GB Seagate SATA HD
    Running Windows XP SP2

I was having some issues with it loading programs very slowly and CPU usage seemed really high. Sent a HiJack log into this forum but no one seeded to see anything, well no one got back to me after 10 views so I assume they didn't see anything.
    So I just did a fresh XP install, loaded a few programs (firefox, my wireless USB, SpyBot, ADAWARE, Super Anti-spyware, bittorrent, hijack this, iTunes, adobe reader.) and now I'm running Super Anti-Spyware and the CPU usage is almost constantly 60% and it takes 10 seconds to load another program. That isn't normal is it? Especially for an FX-62
    Is it my CPU? My Memory? My HD?
    Is there a diagnostic program Ican run to check out my hardware?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

10 views? In what time period? Only certain people can post in that forum, all others can look to see if they have a similar problem ;)

If you want to post it here, I'll look for an overload on startup items.

3. ~Candy~

I took a look at your thread there.....bit torrent running....hmmmm...whatever for?

Also, you have office loading at startup....a real resource hog. I'd kill both of them........and uninstall bit torrent.

4. ~Candy~

And just a question, if you did a fresh install, did you take a look to see what the cpu usage was BEFORE installing the additional programs?

5. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

I knew you were going to ask that, and like a jackass I didn't check the CPU usage right after the fresh install.
    However, I did have one more thing installed. It was a theme manager from AlienWare - Alien GUIse. I just uninstalled that as well, with a few DivX things and programs seem to be loading ok.
    SuperAnti Spyware is still using up 56% but I keep opening things and it's moving along ok. Here's a HiJack just for the heck of it.
    Still, is 56% CPU usage a normal thing with a AMD FX-62?

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 6:43:17 PM, on 10/26/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    c:\program files\common files\logishrd\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WPN111\wpn111.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\LVComSX.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\LQCVFX\COCIManager.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpabaln.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCommunicationsManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LComMgr\Communications_Helper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechQuickCamRibbon] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCam10\QuickCam10.exe" /hide
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [StartCCC] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\bittorrent.exe" --force_start_minimized
    O4 - Global Startup: NETGEAR WPN111 Smart Wizard.lnk = ?
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - c:\program files\common files\logishrd\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: LVSrvLauncher - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\SrvLnch\SrvLnch.exe

--
    End of file - 3939 bytes

6. ~Candy~

Geesh, can you PLEASE turn off BitTorrent............

Also, you shouldn't need the logitech quick cam stuff, or the quick time, or the adobe reader running......

Sometimes, I've seen Spybot slow things down, so, I'd turn off most of the stuff you have running at startup..........including ITunes too.

Also, I don't see an anti-virus program running. Strange that you'd install bittorrent without being worried about the viral crap that can be downloaded with bittorrent.

7. louisj23

louisj23 Thread Starter

yeah, bittorrent is uninstalled.
    AVG is now installed
    I'll go into my startup and remove iTunes, the logitech, quicktime, and adobe from launching at startup.
    Honestly, since I removed the desktop theme from AlienWare things have been running smoother.
    Still, even though it's running smoother is 60% CPU usage normal for a program like Super Anti-Spyware?
    Thanks Aca, you've been helping me for years and I wouldn't know crap about a computer without you!!!!

8. ~Candy~

Turn it off for a test......sometimes programs act differently on different systems.

It slowed down my laptop, so I uninstalled it.....I also used to have Zone Alarm, uninstalled that as well......Some systems don't do well with Norton, mine does, so that's what I run.....sometimes it's a cake bake to figure out what works well together :D

9. ~Candy~

As to desktop themes, I've never used them, but, I like to keep my system lean ;)

Not a lot of icons in the lower right hand corner either :D

10. midnight51

midnight51 Banned

To be honest I've recently had a lot of run-ins with some spyware and adware and I'm usually very careful so I know how crappy it can be. Upon being infected I went straight out and started searching for some software and came across some programs that I think infected me worse... This can be especially true if you've downloaded a package of this software from bittorrent... Super Anti-Spyware ? Sounds cheesy... I'd stick to the trodden path.

11. ~Candy~

Super Anti-Spyware is a recommended program with our security folks here......

12. midnight51

midnight51 Banned

I understand and I didn't mean to discredit the software... but if it's downloaded from bittorrent to try and bypass the trial period or for whatever reason it's highly likely that it is also infected with some other nasty malware. That is mistake #1.

13. ~Candy~

Yes, I try to bash bit torrent every chance I get.......it's just not worth the risk for the headaches that it creates later.....plus, with your ISP being able to report heavy downloaders, the next knock on your door might be a summons to court ;)

The home user version of SAS is free anyway.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice