1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU usage....argh

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rascalking, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rascalking

rascalking Thread Starter

Hey everyone. For some reason, my cpu usage hits 100% if I open more then 1 application. At first, I thought it was a virus, so I did a system recovery and started from scratch. The problem is still there. I dont get whats going on.

2. Drew7997

Drew7997

What programs were you running just prior to noticing the increase? if you hit Ctrl+Alt+del
    and click on the tab that says "processes" then click on CPU and look at what is eating up your cpu the most. post those programs here. Might just need a good ol defragging.

3. rascalking

rascalking Thread Starter

doesnt matter what application. If I just open 1 it will hit like 75% and any more then 1 will hit 100% and the computer will completely slow down.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

But under the "processes tab" on Task manager as above, what is the actual process name that is using all the CPU resource.

5. Drew7997

Drew7997

Here's the deal rascalking. I'm workin on a computer right now, I just opened up Itunes. It's not a HUGE program, it hit 75 and then up to 93%. and that was only 1 program. I understand that it's a problem for you. When did you first notice this spike in cpu usage? What program were you 1st trying to access when you noticed it?

We can't help you without more info.

How much RAM do you have? is it 1 stick or 2? Are we to assume that it's WinXP since you are in the Win XP room?
    The more info you can give us the more recommendations we can give. Try the best to describe "it" even if it doesn't make sense to you it might to us.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice