1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Usage at 100... All The Time...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Seanskye, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seanskye

Seanskye Thread Starter

Yes, you read it right. My CPU usage is at %100 almost all the time. Some times it will take and hour sometimes I can reboot and it will be at %100. I have done every type of spyware and virus scan I can think of yet nothing seems to fix it. I have located the problem to 'Explorer.exe' which is running at %99 What is causing this and how do I fix it?

Like I said I have done just about everything I can think of. Virus scans, Spyware scans, disk cleanup, defragged the computer... I even put up my firewall just for kicks. Nothing seems to work. I have Windows XP home edition. Its an HP computer with 200 Gig Hard Drive and a 1 gig of ram. I am running a Celeron... just an average computer.

Can anyone help me out? If you need more info please tell me what you need to know!

Cheers,

2. matt_aj

matt_aj

Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and go to Task Manager. CLick on the "Processes" tab. This will break down each program and how much RAM and CPU it is using. Check on there and see which process is hogging all the CPU usage and post it here.

3. Seanskye

Seanskye Thread Starter

'Explorer.exe' .... thats what is really what is makin me scratch my head = \

4. jmtechserv

jmtechserv

Explorer is the program that runs your desktop and file structure.
    I would run a “reg-fix” program and look for broken links.
    Then run scan disk at the next boot to let it reindex the drive.

5. kiltedjedi

kiltedjedi

Do you have a CD in the drive, Have you installed Linux as a dual boot? I've noticed that explorer tends to throw a tizzy fit if it can't read the drives.

6. Seanskye

Seanskye Thread Starter

I do have a CD in the drive. But i took it out and same thing happened. And no i dont mess with Linux

Forgive my noobness but what is a “reg-fix” program? And where would i find one? As for Scan Disk i cant find it on my computer. Its not under my system tools = \

7. DonJon

DonJon

Were you able to get this fixed?? I've been fighting the same thing for about a month now. I thought it was registry issue to but the registry tools did not work. I ended up reinstalling my entire OS and the problem still persists. Can't figure this one out....

8. cmw2010

cmw2010

Came across this fix for an explorer.exe at 100% don't know if it will help but from what I understand it won't hurt either.
    To correct the misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D9 4-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850D C73E}\InProcServer32"

or

click Start>Run and enter regedit

You will navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shel lex\PropertyHandler

by clicking the + signs beside

Hkey_Classes_Root/SystemFileAssociations/.avi/shellex

then select (highlight) PropertyHandler

>> next Click File > Export and give the file a name. Then export (save) it to a convenient location before deleting it. It can be restored later if necessary by clicking the saved .reg file

>> after saving it, Right click on the PropertyHandler folder in the left hand pane and select "Delete"

Hope this works for you!

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You might want to create a restore point before killing off registry keys. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice