1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved CPU usage at 100% from the simplest of things

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mushk, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:45 PM.

Advertisement
  1. Mushk

Mushk Thread Starter

Hi there,

I am having an issue with my CPU usage issue on my pc. CPU usage spikes up from the simplest of things. For example, scrolling on Facebook takes my CPU from 10% to 100%. I also cannot do simple things like watch a youtube video in fullscreen without very noticeable video latency.

this started when I went to open Player Unknown battlegrounds and a memory error came up saying it couldn't open due to some memory error. I then shut off my computer and took out the ram and put them back in. since then my CPU usage has been spiking from anything I do.
    (I am on windows 10)

Help would be much appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 4:53 PM
  2. Sponsor

3. Mushk

Mushk Thread Starter

Another piece of information...

When the CPU is under stress sometimes the monitor goes black and audio stops, then comes right back after a second or two. The processor is an Intel i5 750. its only about 2 years out of the box.

4. plodr

plodr Liz

5. Mushk

Mushk Thread Starter

I do not have access to my computer right now. But i checked to see if the computer was reading the ram sticks and it said i had 16 gb (15.5 usable). That is what i have in the pc. And in the task manager the thing that is blowing up is CPU. Memory hardly goes up. no more than 20%

Could memory still be the issue?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 5:30 PM
  6. Mushk

Mushk Thread Starter

Still need help with this issue. Ram sticks are fine.

7. sasaina

sasaina

I don't have any helpful advice, but I will say that PUBG messed up my computer aswell :/

8. Mushk

Mushk Thread Starter

The instruction at 0x############ referenced memory at 0x################. The memory could not be written. Press okay terminate program.

This is the error I get when I try to run Player Unknown Battlegrounds. Dont know if this gives any extra information or not.

This is basically making my computer almost useless. it can only do very basic things without capping out right now. it was not like this last Tuesday.

9. Mushk

Mushk Thread Starter

I fixed the memory issue with Player Unknown Battlegrounds. I uninstalled a bunch of programs just to free up some space (i had like 200 gb free) and now i have 434 and that seemed to fix that.

but my CPU still goes berserk from anything. Please, any help would be appreciated. I just want to be able to use my pc lol.

10. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

This error
    has absolutely nothing to do with any physical ram error
    It is an error in the running of the program - often caused by an outdated or incorrect driver
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1274-uohk-5653

The same problem will be causing your CPU heavy use.

11. Mushk

Mushk Thread Starter

The reason I created a new thread is that part of this one I solved on my own. discarding anything to do with memory questions. now I just have 100% CPU usage of anything I do. I have been looking and researching for countless hours and cant seem to find a solution to this or even why it is happening.

12. Macboatmaster

What I am trying to explain to you is that the error has NOTHING to do with physical ram and NEITHER does it have anything to do with free space on a drive

You did not solve any part of it as it was with respect never related to the
    It is related to the link I sent you and this one here - specifically for the error on PUBG
    https://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/48328-error-message/

please work through the details on those links checking your spec against the minimum for PUBG especially your graphics and also the suggestions re fixing here
    https://forums.playbattlegrounds.co...ixes-template-for-client-crashing-bug-report/

you will then know if the problem with the version of PUBG is your spec in which case there is no solution - other than to upgrade
    OR another issue.

Mushk likes this.
  13. Mushk

Mushk Thread Starter

PUBG works fine now. i did do some driver updates as well.

The only problem i have right now is CPU usage spiking abnormally. It is unrelated to PUBG. I don't even have the game open. Any simple action on my pc spikes my cup usage up too 90-100%.

14. Macboatmaster

OK I am sorry I realise now that it is on every process not merely when playing PUBG
    I misread what it referred to when it said
    playing PUBG was when it started
    I did not realise that it is on all

Please post the results of this
    https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

copy and paste to your reply the in formation in the white box when you run the system information utility in the link

I am a little confused re this
    Unless I have the wrong processor that was introduced in 2009 so to find it in a system of approx. 2015
    It is end of life and will NOT run PUBG

See here and configure for your system
    http://www.game-debate.com/games/in...ia&gc_deriv=GeForce+GT+620&ram=8&checkSubmit=

so that aspect although as you say the problem is not only PUBG is your CPU

Re the general problem
    I will be able to advise better when I see the specs
    If it is windows 10 then that OS is not meant to run on that CPU
    I am NOT saying it will not run
    I mean it will never run well
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html

as your processor if I have the right one is 1st Generation and will not handle some of the windows 10 processes

15. Mushk

Mushk Thread Starter

I will do that As soon as this windows 10 update is done updating.

And as for the processor why would it be able to run pubg 3 days ago and all of a sudden not be able to handle it? No recent updates for the game came out within the last week. It ran it fine at 60 frames beforehand.

16. Macboatmaster

Post what I requested please and please confirm the CPU
    as I see it as 2009 spec

The cold hard facts are that IF that is the CPU it is no good for 10 to ever run smoothly

When you post the spec and answer the question then we may be able to make some progress
    Why it ran apparently OK 3 days ago and all of a sudden cannot is a question I cannot yet answer until I conduct some further tests when I know what the basics of the system are.

ALSO while you are waiting for my response AFTER posting your system specs please use the link I sent you and test your own spec against the game on the GAME debate website

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197797