1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved CPU Usage at 100%

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Adr10, Jun 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Adr10

Adr10 Thread Starter

Hi all, I apologise in advance but Sysinfo will not work, the model of the laptop is a Dell e6420, I have had this problem in the past but it has disappeared, I was smug about me being able to fix it but it appears anything I do will not fix it,

The laptop is a Dell E6420, the version with the Nvidia NVS 4200M and Intel HD Graphics, it is a Windows 7.

My laptops CPU rests at 100% when no programs take up even 10% CPU power, I've tried scanning for Virus' and cleaned the PC with CCleaner, nothing, it usually slows up when it's charging but it's still considerably slow, any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello Adr10,

Download Process Explorer which you can obtain from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator).

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log.

Wait a minimum of a minute then grab a screenshot (it may take two) and attach to your next reply for us

Being slow could be down to a tired or cluttered hard drive, how much free storage is available on the drive.

3. Adr10

Adr10 Thread Starter

Hi Phill, here is your screenshot, The 256 GB HDD has about 30GB on it, I've cleared out what I didn't need. [UPDATE] System Idle Process is hovering at about 50.
    , [​IMG]

4. Adr10

Adr10 Thread Starter

Turns out high SIP is normal, I still don't see where the issue is coming from. As the CPU rests at around 20% until I do anything which could be opening a new process or tab.

5. phillpower2

phillpower2

You are very low on free disk space and if using the stock 320GB HDD that the computer shipped with you ideally need between 70 and 80GB free, please see canned info below;

WmiPrvSE.exe is shown to be the big hitter and just by chance the same issue has been addressed on the forums before, see the solution provided courtesy of Phantom010 here

For Windows to be able to run efficiently and to be able to update you need to have between 20 and 25% of the partition or drive available as free storage space at all times on smaller capacity storage devices, if you don`t you risk Windows becoming corrupt or not being able to update which puts you at risk of malware attack.

Data only storage devices should not be allowed to get any lower than 10% of free storage space of the full capacity of the drive/partition on the drive.

Uninstall as many unused programs, games, videos and music files as you can, get yourself a means of backing up to, as mentioned you need to you have between 20 and 25% of free storage on the C: drive/partition so as to avoid issues.

Equally as important is being prepared for the need to upgrade to another OS, Windows 7 is nearing its end of life and extended support will cease on January 14, 2020.

6. Adr10

Adr10 Thread Starter

Hey Phill, I've done what you suggested but it has not had any effect on the problem.

7. Adr10

Adr10 Thread Starter

Bump

8. Adr10

Adr10 Thread Starter

Iirc the laptop seems to randomly work fine after about 1900 hours, would that information help?

9. replay

replay

Why don’t you buy a bigger hard drive and clone it?
    That’s if you don’t want to delete anything on the existing

10. Adr10

Adr10 Thread Starter

I'm planning to upgrade soon, I see no need to do so regardless, just trying to fix my CPU problem.

11. phillpower2

phillpower2

We understand that computer issues can be stressful but can I ask that you do not bump your threads, we are all volunteers that give our time for free while working or fitting in with family commitments, thank you for your understanding.

Download and run CrystalDisk info standard edition from here

Run the program, grab any screenshots and attach to your next reply for us.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.

2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.

3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

If you need to save the results as a txt file can you please edit out your Windows product key before uploading the information here.

12. Adr10

Adr10 Thread Starter

My apologies about the bump, upload_2019-6-1_19-3-7.png
    upload_2019-6-1_19-3-27.png

I have removed the serial from the speccy txt. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

13. Adr10

Adr10 Thread Starter

14. phillpower2

phillpower2

You need to back up any important data asap as CrystalDisk is warning of HDD issues.

Still not enough free space on the HDD in any account and while there is not enough free storage space even on a healthy drive Windows will not be able to update, Windows will become corrupt and if you are real unlucky become infected by malware which while on the subject I will mention that you do not have any anti virus protection, bad idea at the best of times but even more so when you are using the computer online.

Free up as much space as you can, download, install, run and update Microsoft Security Essentials, download from here

Partition ID Disk #0, Partition #1
    Disk Letter C:
    File System NTFS
    Volume Serial Number E6979D90
    Size 232 GB
    Used Space 197 GB (84%)
    Free Space 35 GB (16%)

Post back when you have done the above, I would also suggest that you do not test the HDD until the data has been backed up as a flaky drive can fail at any time and rather than fully shutting down Windows when the computer is not in use put the computer on stand by until the data is backed up, reason for this is because a flaky drive or corrupt Windows could prevent you from being able to boot up at any time.

Edit to add;

Advice still the same as above, back up etc. there is not enough free storage space to upgrade to Windows 10.

Tip
    If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page, it also avoids filling up folks inbox

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  15. Adr10

Adr10 Thread Starter

Hi, I've been able to make up 56.8GB of free space, I have backed up all important files, I'm currently half way through a MSE scan, I'll keep you updated.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice