1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cpu Usage High when Idle

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PlaneFlyingPig, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PlaneFlyingPig

PlaneFlyingPig Thread Starter

Hi guys! I'm Pig and I'm new!

I got my pc 3 years ago. It's a windows xp sp3. Three days ago I reformatted my computer because of some silly driver glitch. (I couldn't seem to finish installation of my printer's driver and my wireless internet card driver for some reason)

Now with all updated drivers and such, usually my cpu usage ranges between 3% to 9 %. But it's jumping between 27% to 55% with no running program. I thought it was simply dust so I cleared them completely off, no dice.

My system is:
    Windows XP sp3 Professional
    AMD Athlon Processor LE 1640
    2.59Ghz, 3.25 GB of ram (which I swore I though I threw 4gb of ram in my computer)

I dun know much about computers aside from playing games and Microsoft Word/Mozilla for schoolwork. Please tell me what other info is needed to solve this annoying problem. Thanks so much! Onegaishimasu!

Attached Files:

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows XP and all other 32-bit operating systems will recognize only 3.0 - 3.5 GB of 4.0 GB or more of RAM, so you seeing 3.25 GB of RAM usable is normal.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I don't see anything abnormal in your screenshot.

The CPU usage will jump from time to time because of something going on the background that you may not be aware of.

Do you know how to submit a HiJackThis log?

4. PlaneFlyingPig

err nope sorry i've searched google, perhaps i'm an idiot but isn't hijackthis log a log for viruses? Or perhaps my computer got a virus?

Btw, I've lurked around and gotten couple of steps: I've went to msconfig and disabled all of my startup programs. I've tried disabling the services tab. Both doesn't lower my cpu usage, in fact when i disabled my services tab, my computer ran much slower than before.

Also how does one check if there are any background programs running? Don't reformatting a computer usually wipe everything clean? Thanks!

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It's okay to uncheck and disable unnecessary running entries in the Startup tab, but NOTHING should be unchecked and disabled in the Services tab.

If you're not sure what you're doing in that "System Configuration Utility" window, ask us first before you wind up with severe problems or a non-working computer.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here and click the green "Download latest version" link to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and allow its main window to load.

Uncheck "Do not show this window when I start HiJackThis".

Click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in 30 - 60 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE log file here.

-------------------------------------------------------

7. PlaneFlyingPig

Sorry for the wait. Had a Gintama Marathon yesterday with my fernds.

Oh, I remember something weird, when I reformatted my computer and install my OS, usually there's a welcoming introduction (like setting the time, checking some Terms I have to agree on) but this time it didn't show up at all. It just installed and boom desktop shows up.

Here's the log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 9:06:16 AM, on 12/24/2012
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\ANIWZCSdS.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?linkid=193
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GB_UPDATE] C:\Program Files\Razer\Razer Game Booster\AutoUpdate.exe/AUTORUN
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: ANIWZCSd Service (ANIWZCSdService) - Wireless Service - C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\ANIWZCSdS.exe
    O23 - Service: Mozilla Maintenance Service (MozillaMaintenance) - Mozilla Foundation - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Update Service Daemon (nvUpdatusService) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Update Core\daemonu.exe

--
    End of file - 2536 bytes

Thanks for the help!

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    A hard drive format and clean reinstall of Windows XP will involve 2 restarts before the setup/install process is finished and you remove the Windows XP disc.

Selecting a time zone, administrator name, computer name, etc. is all part of the setup/install process.

Have you insured that the ENTIRE list of names in the Services tab is checked?

------------------------------------------------------------

9. PlaneFlyingPig

Hmm, what about the welcome walkthrough where you have the little "windows bob" or mr.paperclip on the bottom right hand side? That's what I'm missing. The admin pass, timezone, computer name occured though.

________________________---

Yep. they're all checked. I still don't know what the problem is. ERRRGG frustrating!

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not there, so I don't know how you reinstalled XP and what setting changes you made.

You may need some "hands on" help by a computer-knowledgeable person.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

11. PlaneFlyingPig

welp! thanks very much for the posts anyway! Merry Christmas!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082112