1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU Usage seems too high?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by axelified, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axelified

axelified Thread Starter

Hey there.

I don't know if I'm just overthinking/worrying too much about my laptop, but my CPU usage lately seems to idle between 10 and 30% even when I'm not doing much. I've noticed that TeaTimer.exe (Spybots real time protection) seems to hog some of this, and I'm not sure if I need it since I have Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware installed.

I've also noticed Firefox to be very laggy but this could well be a seperate issue. Also on startup my computer does seem to take up to five minutes to settle down after logging in.

What can I do or what should I be checking?

Here's my system information:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II P340 Dual-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3834 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 596041 MB, Free - 445133 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, JE51_DN
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (y) and SUPERAntiSpyware (y), you do not need Spybot - Search & Destroy (n).

Its TeaTimer feature is known to be problematic anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Type in MSCONFIG to bring up the System Configuration window, then click the "Startup" tab.

How many entries in the "Startup Item" column are checked?

-------------------------------------------------------------

3. axelified

axelified Thread Starter

Quite a few. I've tried to narrow it down, but I feel like there's many things I need running.

Do I need Google Update? What about DivX Media Server and DivX Update?

I'll uninstall Spybot seeing as it's not important to have when I have the others. Oh, do I have to worry about the stuff I may have quarantined or undoing any changes I made?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go to Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - "Startup" tab.

Write down ONLY the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.

If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.

Submit those names here in a vertical list.

Make sure to spell them EXACTLY as you see them there.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What optional devices do you connect to and use with your computer?

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. axelified

axelified Thread Starter

Realtek HD Audio Manager
    MyWinLocker
    ELAN Smart-Pad
    Power Management
    Google Update
    Microsoft Windows Operating System (something to do with stickynotes)
    MobileDocuments
    iCloud
    iCloud
    MyWinLocker Suite
    EgisTec In-Product Service
    EgisTec In-Product Service
    Acer Backup Manager
    Catalyst Control Center
    Launch Manager
    avast! antivirus
    Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager
    Apple Push
    DivX Media Server
    DivX Update
    iTunes

I have unchecked spybot for now - not sure if I can uninstall it before making sure I don't delete anything I've changed with the program.

Also I have a laptop, so nothing else is really connected that often other than usb sticks occasionally, SC cards occasionally, and an external HDD.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Realtek HD Audio Manager can be unchecked.
    It can manually be started if you need to adjust or edit any audio settings.

Google Update can be unchecked.

Catalyst Control Center can be unchecked.
    It can manually be started if you need to adjust or edit any graphics settings.

Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager can be unchecked.

DivX Update can be unchecked.

-------------------------------------------------

You appear to be using Apple-related devices and Acer-related apps and encryption apps with that Acer computer, so leave the others checked.

-------------------------------------------------

7. axelified

axelified Thread Starter

Will I need the Realtek HD Audio Manager to change the volume levels on my laptop or is this for just general audio mixing (balance, etc)?

I'll untick the rest thanks! And yeah I use my Apple products alot with my laptop so it'd be best to leave them.

Also, do you know whether its safe to just uninstall Skybot even though I may have made changes to the laptop via the program?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I haven't used Spybot - Search & Destroy in several years, so I don't really know what features it has that allows you to make changes to a computer.

Go to Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - "Startup" tab, then examine the "Command" column for any Spybot-related entries.

If any are present, uncheck them, then click Apply - OK/Close - Exit Without Restart.

Go to Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK, then examine the "Name" column for any Spybot-related entries.

If any are present, double-click them to open their properties window, then change "Startup Type" to Disabled, then click Apply - OK.

After you're done, restart the computer.

------------------------------------------------------------

9. axelified

axelified Thread Starter

I didn't find anything under the command column or services, so does this mean it should be safe to go ahead and remove the program?

Whenever I try to uninstall I get the message that if I want to uninstall Spybot it says if I want to undo changes that I've made with Spybot not to uninstall now and use the recovery option instead.

Using the recovery option could potentially undo changes whereby I have quarantined malware etc that seemed suspicious and I'm not sure I want to undo this. Is there anything you can advise?

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I have no idea what changes you had Spybot make to that computer, so just play it safe and leave it alone.

-----------------------------------------------------------

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice