1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU usage whil watching videos and flash videos

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Sphinx, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

I am curious as to what the "normal" cpu usage is for watching a video, such as a divx or xvid video, and also what the "normal" cpu usage is for watching a flash video online, on a site such as youtube.

I did some tests and found when watching an XVID video, I got the following results...

Windows Media Player 11........... 30-42%
    Windows Meida Player Classic..... 27-40%
    VLC......................................... 12-25%

I was interested to see how much lower the usage was with VLC - how can this be? I would think they would be using the same engine for decoding, so I can't account for this difference. It also jumped around a lot, as you can see with these wide ranges.

Then for flash videos, on you tube for example,
    I got...

Firefox 3 (beta 4).......... 35-50%
    IE7...............................30-45%
    Opera..........................32-48%

About the same for all 3. I was wondering if this is high or considered normal.
    Also something interesting to note, is that if a video is playing, but i scroll down so that the Flash "box" is no longer in viewing area (i can no longer see the video playing, only hear it), CPU usage goes down to about 18-22%. Same thing happens if I keep the video playing but just minimize the page.

I'd like to hear from anyone with the same issues, or if I am just being paranoid!

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. haseeb76

haseeb76

playing flash and divx videos requires much processing power. as far as i guess your pc is p4 1.7 ghz or something like that. updating ram or agp will not work to improve performance.

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

sorry i always forget to include my specs..

P4 3.0ghz w/ HT
    1GB (2 x 512) DDR400 Kingston ValueRAM
    160GB WD Hard Drive 7200rpm 8mb buffer
    Radeon 9550 256mb DDR video card
    Creative Live! 5.1 Sound Card
    Samsung 162c DVD Drive
    NEC 2510A DVD Burner
    Geniatech X8000A HDTV Tuner Card
    Floppy Drive
    Antec 350W tru power supply

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice