1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cpu usage

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ajdupont, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajdupont

ajdupont Thread Starter

Hi
    Here's my opportunity. About 10 minutes or so after rebooting my cpu usage goes to 100%. This just started about 3 weeks ago. I've had this computer for a year and a half and have never had this happen. I've always monitered CPU usage, that's why I'm aware of this. The programs I have running in the background are the same ones I've always had.I've even tried to close those programs and still show 100% cpu usage. One strange thing is that if I open a program e.g. Word Perfect or something, the cpu usage drops back off to virtually 0 where it normally runs.No screen savers are running. I'm running a Pentium III 600 with 256 mg of ram. Also no new hardware installed in the last 6 months.I did install Microsoft Office 97 about a month ago and thought that might be it. Uninstalled it and it didn't help.
    Any help woud be appreciated.

Thanks

2. $teve

$teve

hi aj.........click start/run.type "msinfo32"(without the quotes) double click "software environment" and then "running tasks"cut and paste the info here and someone will take a look at whats running on your system....and i would make sure your virus program is updated(we all have these dont we?) and run a scan.

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

4. ajdupont

ajdupont Thread Starter

Hi
    Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Had to go to work.
    $teve thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
    WhitPhil I took your advice and found the problem.I downloaded and ran Taskinfo2000 (very good little program) and it showed STMGR.EXE was the culprit. I removed it from my Registry and everything is OK. I must have overlooked it in the Registry before. Although I don't remember it being there. Maybe some other program put it back there. I don't know. In any case I'm OK. Thanks again $teve and WhitPhil.

ajdupont

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

You are running WinMe? Yes?

STMGR is part of the windows architecture. For one thing, it appears to start the System File Protection feature.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q260/1/95.ASP

It would also appear to get involved in the Restore process.
    "When a specific restore point is chosen and the restore process starts, the command is passed to the State Manager, which accesses the System Restore change logs"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwinme/html/winmesr.asp?frame=true

It could be windows taking a control point snapshot. And perhaps your restore area is too small and it has to flush it, in order to complete the task??

(Perhaps a WinMe person can comment)

6. ajdupont

ajdupont Thread Starter

WhitPhil
    You're right about stmgr.exe being part of System Restore. I've used System Restore before. It's a very useful feature of ME. And I do have enough space to do a restore if I need to.
    After going to the links you provided for me, it seems that the installation of some programs triggers ME to create a System Restore date that could be used at a later time. I think that's what happened when I installed Office 97. It puts it in the registry and activates stmgr.exe. I don't really need this as I periodically create my own System Restore date.
    Thanks again for your reply.

ajdupont

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice