CPU vs Mainboard, what could be the worst problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MetalRooster

Dear all.

I've just found out that i'll face a big problem before building my very own PC for the first time.

Problem is, my mainboard(ASUS P4c800 deluxe BIOS number is 1014 and i need 1016 or higher) is not gonna support my CPU(Intel P4 3.2 GHz Extreme Edition) since it's too fast. however this's can be fixed later because ASUS provides the file to update my bios.

What i want to know is what could be the worst problem when i first set everything up before update my BIOS ( or flash BIOS)? none of my friends can give me a good anwser, they're all unsure about this could turn to. Some of them say it should be fine if the system boot up for the first time, some of the them it's gonna be a stuff up.

I'm so frustrated, that's why i come here to ask our experts to give me the right anwser, i'll provide the brief of my to-be-built system as following.

CPU : P4 3.2 Ghz(Presscott) 1mb catches
Memory : Kingston DDR PC 3200 512MB Ram X 2
Mainboard: ASUS P4c800 deluxe WIFI
Graphic Card: Winfast FX 5900X
Hard Drive : 8mb SATA Seagate 200Gbs
DVD-Burner : Dual Layer 8X
PSU(480W) + Case : Thermaltake

Please help me. :eek:

I think your bios wouldnt allow your processor to get to a high speed like 3.2, and would possibly limit the speed, to like 2.8.

MetalRooster

Then it means that the machine will still boot but it's just not to the highest speed of the CPU right?

It doesn't me that it will not boot up, this is my concern because if it's not gonna boot up then i don't know what i'm going to do.

Thankx sin0822

No Problem, but try to update the bios first, or even call the mobo's tech support and ask.

MetalRooster

Man, what do u mean update it "first"?Are you saying i update before i actually make it run?
If u know how, can you please tell me? The Board, i didn't actually buy it myself, i asked one of my relatives to buy it for me. We just found out the problem.

Please please please HELP me

No problem at all your board supports the 3.2GHz, Pentium 4E (Prescott core 1MB cache) right out of the box, It's the 3.2GHz Pentium 4EE (Extream Edition Prescott Core 2MB cache) that you need the BIOS revision for. By the way the 3.2GHz Pentium 4EE are over $900, and just recently became available.
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4S800D&langs=09

MetalRooster

Hey, pronute.

Is the board that you posted support my processor or what? Why did you post that link? It's not my board, mine is PC800. Sorry , if i sound a bit stupid here. :)
Thank you very much for making sure about this, i really appreciate that. And also thanks to other people that have contributed their answers on my problem here.

I love this furum.
this is my board:
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4C800%20Deluxe&langs=09

MetalRooster

Hey, guys

With that same problem, do i have to flash my bios after installing everything? As ppl said that my CPU will only run at the speed of 2.8GHz only. If so, what is the safest way to update my BIOS?

Thanks in advanced

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The safest way is by following the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. If they don't know how to do it, we sure don't. :)

MetalRooster

Thanks guys, i'll ask you guys again if i encounter any problem during the building time :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online