1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU waaay to hot. What to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phixgrrrl, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    At least I think it is. I did a search here for cpu temp and got a gazillion post results and read through a few. I was switching tabs in Firefox when it stopped responding. I could move my mouse and open the start menu but I could not, for instance, open up Display Properties. I couldn't even bring up the process list w/Ctrl Alt Del...nothing happened. I also couldnt shut down from the Start Menu. So I manually restarted and got a message like something to do w/the hardware; see Power menu for details...

So went into the BIOS setup and Power and saw my cpu temp was in red at 167F. And actually I recently cleaned some dust out of a couple fans.

Should I clean out everything again? Or is my hardware failing? This never happened before since I got this PC and I've had it for a bit over 3 years.
    Please advise soon!!

P4 @ 2.4 GHz
    1 GB of RAM
    Radeon X1600

thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, that's WAY too hot, that's for sure.

Check the fans you cleaned, maybe one of them is no longer running. Also, could you have somehow knocked one of the clips off the processor HS in the cleaning? Maybe the HS isn't in proper contact anymore.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Are you sure the fan is still spinning where you "cleaned the dust" from?

Dis you remove the heatsink fan unit when you did so, as if you did, it needs reseating with thermal paste.

More history is needed as to what you actually did, and if all fans are spinning OK.

4. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    Wow. thanks.
    No, actually I only cleaned the fans (2) in the front of the PC, under the hard drives and Floppy.

5. jazz3000

jazz3000

If your a gamer your Radeon can overheat as well.

6. GripS

GripS

If you have never cleaned out your case before then it's probably time. You'll need a can of compressed air and a well ventilated environment(outdoors:) ). Remove the case side panel(all panels you can remove for that matter) and go to town with the compressed air.

7. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    Ok. I will try that and see if it helps and let you know!

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I have a P4 @ 3GHZ with a fan that stopped spinning. It failed several times around 92C (197F). I replaced the fan and all was good again.

9. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    Hi
    I cleaned a good amount of the caked dust off all the fans (I didnt have any compressed air but still managed to clean a lot). I went into the BIOS and the cpu temp was at 116 F...but it went up to 118...so I dont know if it will keep going up??

Also, I got the error message again upon boot:
    "Hardware Monitor found an error. Enter Power Setup menu for details"
    so now I'm thiinking this is due to something else??
    That was when I checked the temp and got the above readings. I didnt know what else I should be looking at.

10. GripS

GripS

what were the details?

11. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    I will restart when I get home to see if it does it again. Then I'll post all of what it said in the Power menu.

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If you have the ability to set a shutdown temperature in the bios, I would do so until you have the problem figured out. More than likely, it's going to entail replacing the paste ontop of the cpu.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

I have my shutdown temp at 60C....running a P4 2.4 also.

13. PasadenaDave

PasadenaDave

Is the fan or fans running ok, is a cable keeping the fan from running? Way too hot.

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

The temperatures you reported, i.e. 116-118 are not exceptionally hot. 118f = 47.8c.

Do you know if your processor is a Northwood or Prescott core?

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you don't know what processor core you have go here; http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

and download SIW 1.68. This is an executable that doesn't have to be installed on your
    machine. Just download it to the desktop and launch the application. After the application
    launches click on CPU Info in the left pane, and when the right hand side pane opens see
    what it says next to CPU Code Name.

Post the Code Name so we can see what core you have.

If you want to delete SIW 1.68 just right click on the desktop icon and delete it. You may
    want to keep it since it is handy for finding information for your machine.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/568113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice