1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU with 0% utilization has 42C temperature

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by charlesamati, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charlesamati

charlesamati Thread Starter

I've got a Presario R3240US Notebook. With the computer proped up at a 10 degree angle on a non-pourous surface, Everest monitered my CPU running at 42 degrees C (108F), with 0% CPU utilization (Everest and startup programs only). I ran diagnostics because, when running the computer with higher CPU loads, it often shuts down without warning - I assumed it was a result of overheating. My warranty with Compaq has expired, but I still have 2 years left through Circuit City. Unfortunately, that would require me sending in my computer for 3-4 weeks. Any suggestions on resolving this problem without resorting to Circuit City?

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

I know nothing about working on a notebook, I can only say what I would do with a PC, With a hot CPU, the problem is either bad air circulation or poor contact between the CPU and heatsink...assuming that there is such a thing on a notebook. The first thing to do is to check the cooling, which means seeing that all of the fans run properly and cleaning any dirt from the fans, heatsink and case. If this doesn't help, then reseating the CPU might, but then most people would leave this sort of thing to a professional, because notebooks and PCs are very different critters.

3. accat13

accat13

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

42C is not a dangerous temperature.

5. seekermeister

seekermeister

No it isn't. But it may be getting alot hotter under load.

6. charlesamati

I started the new thread to better answer common questions - just should have edited the original post, I guess. Anyway, my logic is that if my CPU is running at 42C idling with the fan working properly, then when under full load it must be getting MUCH hotter in order to cause a system shutdown. I'm guessing, with full load, the CPU is getting around 40-50 percent hotter than its idle temperature. The fan ports are all free of dust, as well, and I have tested using a household fan to circulate the air around the output and input ports as well.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So what kind of temperatures are you seeing under load or when the system restarts?

Thats not necessarily a correct assumption. Many laptops have temperature controlled fans, as the temp goes up the fans speed up to cool down the system.

8. ~Candy~

You might also think about investing in a laptop cooler to sit under the laptop. Mine shuts down every now and then if I'm watching a DVD, and have things running in the background.

9. charlesamati

10. ~Candy~

Let us know how it works. I haven't purchased one yet, but know that I should (y)

11. Mulderator

Mulderator

And just for clarification, I've seen studies that fans don't really make much difference--as long as you have the laptop up on something so air can flow all around it, it will be cooler. Not that there is anything wrong with the fans on laptop coolers--it certainly can't hurt. Just make sure if it has fans that it has a USB pass through because otherwise, you lose a port to plug in the laptop fans.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice