1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cpu...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kappadonna, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kappadonna

kappadonna Thread Starter

What EXACTLY does a CPU do for your system? Im building myself a computer strictly for gameing (and surfing) and im going through the components one by one learning what there specs mean and why some are superior to others. I have seen some CPU's with lower Ghz and there more money and vice versa...what specs matter? and what don't? what does BUS and CACHE mean? Im probably going to go with Intel, but I was just wondering about these issues. also, what does overclocking your computer mean? Does a more powerfull CPU affect your gaming? by how much? thanks to those who reply.

2. Rockn

Rockn

The CPU is the brains of the computer. And the GHz is a emasure of how fast the brains process the data.

Bus = a path for data or power to flow to other components in the system.

Here's a place to find almost any computer term..
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/c/cache.html

Fo gaming look for a fast CPU, lots of system memory and a good graphics card with as much memory as you can afford.

3. kappadonna

Thanks, im a little confused though, when you speak of memory are you talking ram? or do the graphics cards come with memory too? and when they speak of 140 Gb hard drives, whats that 140Gb? is that memory? thanks.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Look on that web site...

RAM and memory are pretty much interchangeable terms. A 160GB hard drive is a measure of how many bytes of data you can store on it....160 billion bytes of data. A hard drive has nothing to do with memory, it's a storage device basically that holds your programs, Operating system, files of whatever type.

Graphics cards come with their own memory seperate from the computers memory.

5. kappadonna

Ok, so what should I look for in a CPU? should I go below 1.8 Ghz? What brand should I look at and what features? Thanks!

6. torgo

torgo

go here:

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/

call them and tell them what you want, what kind of stuff you want to do with the system.

they are honest and build great systems and no i don't work for them. I do buy parts from them when I build my own systems.

also check out any seller at:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

before you buy

7. kappadonna

Thanks but I want to learn this stuff first hand and I want to build the computer myself...

8. Rockn

Rockn

Asking someone else to do the research and defining terms FOR you isn't exactly doing anything yourself. Do a little reading and you will undrestand quite a bit. We will be more than glad to help with any probems that might arise during the building process, but there is something that YOU have to do since you are ultimately the one that is going to assemble the beast not us.

9. kappadonna

I thought that's what this forum is for...asking questions.......

10. Rockn

Rockn

Sure it is, but there are still things you are going to have to do for yourself. If you don't want to read anything suggested we are kind of wasting our breath. Give and take ya know!!

11. kappadonna

Ok, so i read the website...and I KNOW the higher the Ghz usually = faster...BUT my question is why are some with lower Ghz more expensive then those with higher Ghz? Is this due to build quality or design? Seems kinda goofy but im justy wondering...thanks.

12. Rockn

Rockn

Give us an example of a place you saw a lower rated CPU that cost more than a faster CPU?

13. kappadonna

Some guy was telling me how the way a CPU is built is superior to the actual speed...maybe he was full of ****, i dunno...He was saying something about the CPU's in Macintoshes and how there rated lower but there faster because of a different design!

14. torgo

torgo

example:

AMD XP 2000 runs at 1.667 GHZ but performs at least as well as a

Pentium 4 running at 2 GHZ because the AMD does more computations per clock cycle

a good chip for a new system (once they are available in a few days) is the AMD XP 2500(runs at 1.8 ghz) BARTON Core.
    this chip has a larger cache than previous P's so frequently used instructions can be stored for quick retrieval. Runs from $172 to $192 at vendors I checked.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice