Cpu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cool breeze

My CPU is running at 55c average, i have already put enough compound on the heat sink (but not overdone), is there any other way of reducing the temp.

CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3800+
CPU Alias Manchester S939

Micheal.

Sure... improve the airflow :)

Seriously, 100 things... get a better heatsink, a better case, more fans, faster fans, round cables... you name it.

cool breeze

Thanks Erick295,

I've got round cables came with the unit (Arctic psu), the heat-sink that came with the chip is a large one, apparently there isn't another that fits the slot.

Also got the side panel off.

Is it possible that it might be the type of chip or model?, only ask because i thought some-one on here said the manchester version was unstable.

you need a thin amount on the cpu. just a lite layer on the die should suffice, too much is as bad as none at all. i apply a little and spread with a razor blade the processor i have right now is a amd 2800 and it is at 49c and it is slightly overclocked. its just air cooled.

Having the side panel off can, (will) disrupt the case's airflow design and sometimes make things run hotter. Typically the airstream starts at the lower front fascia and is exhausted out the rear by the PS fan and the exhaust fan.

With the side panel off, try blasting (carefully) the interior with a common house fan and see if the temps drop. If they do, then you know that your solution is to move more air. If they don't then you need to look at thermal transfer between CPU and HSF (thermal paste) after you verify normal temps with AMD for your CPU.

It is also possible that a temp monitor is inaccurate. Sometimes a "second opinion" is needed.

I never thought it would be possible but for the small investment of $125.00 for a water cooling system. My CPU never gets above 30 degrees celsius.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have that same processor, and I just slapped the AMD stock HS on with their thermal paste already on the HS, and the processor idles around 42C, and reaches 52-53 under full load. I'd have to say that there's something about the HS installation if you're hitting 55C idling, that's way too hot. If there's more than 10C difference between the MB temperature reading and the processor one, you have a processor cooling issue. What happens if you direct a household fan on the MB and processor area with the case side off? Post the other temperatures with the case side on and off, also with the fan blowing on it.

ya id say you put to muich paste on maybe or the sink is not seated on the chip all the way. 55C at idle is dangerous cause you can bet at full load you jump 10-20c so your probly going over the fail safe temp.

"It is also possible that a temp monitor is inaccurate. Sometimes a "second opinion" is needed.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps now is a good time to try a second or third means of monitoring that CPU temp just to make sure that your readings are authentic.

Motherboard Monitor
SpeedFan
Everest
Sandra

Or a separate "zone" with its own probe and monitor

kidcnote

Banned
cool breeze said:
My CPU is running at 55c average, i have already put enough compound on the heat sink (but not overdone), is there any other way of reducing the temp. Micheal.
I notice on mine with the cover off it cools down 2 or 3 degrees but with a small (6in) fan on it, I reduce the heat quite a bit..
http://www.pixpond.com/1/26d21b.jpg

no wonder your temps are so hot if the ambiet temp is that hot inside the case all other stuff is gonna run hot its getting hot air you need cooler intake air. When my case temp rises above 35c my cpu and video temps rise with it when it stays below 30c they stay lower. Make sure all your case fans are running and pointing in the correct directions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online