1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU's AMD vs Intel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moozer, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Hi,

Can somebody please give me or at least link me to a list that details AMD and Intel equivalents (i.e. an Intel Celeron processor being like a cheap Pentium II)

I'm looking really at what the AMD Duron is equivalent to in terms of the Intel CPU

Thanks

M

2. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

My post is rather vague - sorry!

To make things more simplified:

I have an AMD Duron 1.2GHz

What are the Intel equivalents to this?

Thanks

3. telegramsam

telegramsam

That's roughly the equivelant of a Celeron of a similar clock speed.

A word of caution though, there are many differences in architecture, even of that vintage that make them difficult to compare. So while that's a rough equal, it's not exactly the same...

4. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

Thankyou - so would it have a similar status to Pentium III (I know Pentium is more powerful than the Celeron) I used to have an old Celeron 366MHz which was comparable to Pentium II

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

I think that particular Duron would outpace the PIII by a little bit. Again, it depends on the core architecture. That vintage of Duron should be a little more advanced than the PIII. Overall, the performance would definitely be in the same area...

A Celeron 366 would make a good .22 target. (just my little editorial comment there) Those didn't even come with a math co-processor.

6. moozer

moozer Thread Starter

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So I've got a reasonably good CPU in any case. It suits my needs - I don't need a fast PC for major game play - Although I do have Juiced, Need for Speed Underground 2, and Grand Theft Auto Vice City. I'd say that's gaming at it's limit for this PC - which suits me.

How could I find out about the core architecture for the Duron?

Thanks for your input and comedy!!!

;)

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_1102,00.html

Start digging around in there. That should be a K6 era processor. Somewhere in there you'll find a number breakdown that explains the numbering on the little black sticker that you need a super magnifying glass to read...

And yeah, my stepson plays WoW with an Athlon 950Mhz and a decent video card. Not the BEST gaming experience, but he doesn't seem to be unhappy with it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice