1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU's and Motherboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by teresa_banksuk, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teresa_banksuk

teresa_banksuk Thread Starter

I am wanting to build a PC for my younger sister but the manual I am reading is a bit complicated. What CPU, Motherboard and BIOS do I need to buy to build a decent PC? All she wants to do is play games and surf the ent on it so it doesn't have to be too flash. Anything above a 486 should be fine.

2. deuce

deuce

Well I doubt you could find anything 486 or older... but if you could your sister would just be wiating on everything. Also, if you are looking to build it is going to be hard to find older parts, and you might be better off building a PIII or something similar. Do you have used computer stores in your area? You can also search through classifieds for parts, ect or a used system. About which bios, the motherboard will come with a bios... and about which cpu, motherboard to get... it depends on what you can still find. How much is your sister willing to spend? You can buy really decent used systems for anywhere between free and a few hundred dollars... you just have to look or get lucky... but I really don't know what prices are like in England or what you might find.

3. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Building a computer is not a simple task. Unless you're totally comfortable with and knowledgeable about computer hardware, you're asking for a whole lot of frustration. It's not worth it. You can buy a decent computer (completely assembled) for about $400. The slowest new computer you'll find is a Pentium III.

4. deuce

deuce

You can also go to an online retailer and have them build you a custom one. It has all the advantages of building yourself but they deal with all the problems in doing so themselves, and that way you can specify all the exact parts you want, and don't need to worry about paying for stuff you don't want. You can get really good entry-level PIIIs from online retailers for maybe as low as $200.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!