1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU's dead? Motherboard dead? or both?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whirlwind, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Thread Starter

Hello everyone :)

I gave my PC to my 13 yrs niece, she used for only 2 days and boom! The whole thing dropped dead :(

I have been using for almost 2 year without any major problems

The spec:

- PIII 700MHz (overclocked to 867MHz)
    - 256MB PC133 SDRAM (was on 512MB but I took out 256MB when I gave it away)
    - Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-6VX7-4X, chipset VT82C694X (VIA Apollo Pro 133A) - VT82C686A
    - Inno3D GeForce2 MX200 64MB DDRAM
    - The rest is just standard CDROM (52X), FDD & 20GB HDD
    - 300W PSU, I have taken the extra fan in the back of the PC out when I gave the PC to my niece.
    - Was running Windows 98 but I installed XP Home Ed 'coz my niece likes it.

According to my niece - when I asked her what happened? - It was "working fine last night but... not today..." *sigh*, after lot of promises that I won't get crossed if she tell me the true, she said she was playing CD music then the machine hang, so she put restart, done that a few times and then the whole thing gone *sighhhhhh*

Now when it turned on, no signal sending to the screen (screen stay at black - standby mode), although the CPU fan, the graphic card fan & PSU fan still running, the orange light on motherboard is on per normal, no beeping at all from the m/b to indicate that something has gone wrong (i.e. RAM is not working), light in the front panel is not light up, when I press the "Reset" button, I can see the green light underneath the HDD is turn on then off.

I reset the clock back to 700MHz but nothing changed, replace the graphic card but monitor stayed at standby mode

I thought (based on experiences from the past) that the CPU is fried (overheat 'coz I took the back fan out hence system freeze), I went to buy another CPU, this time is a Celeron 1.0GHz (0.13 Micron FC-PGA2), replace the PIII 700MHz but nothing changed, the whole thing remain the same, CPU fan, Graphic card fan and PSU fan start up as soon as I plug in the power cord, can't turn off by using the power button @ the front panel, and the LED in the front panel is off :confused: :(

What do you think the problem is? The motherboard this time?

Please help

Thank you for your time and advice

PS. Monitor tested on my other machine and it works fine, so the problem is not from monitor

2. torgo

torgo

try this:

-take all expansion cards and memory out of the system so all you have left is the motherboard which is hooked to the power supply, make sure the speaker is hooked up.

-turn it on, make sure the power supply fan is running

-you should almost immediately hear beeps at turn on, if not I'm afraid it's a bad mobo.

- a good, inexpensive fix (sinc you already brought a celeron) can probably be found at tigerdirect.com or a similar etailer that carries discounted older mobo's. should run 40-to 65 bucks. I recently repaired an athlon 7OOMHZ that had a similar problem by installing a Chaintech AJA7 MOBO and a Duron 1GHZ that cost $79 total for repair.

-Good luck

3. wedor

wedor

I would try just uplugging everything and plugging it back in first. You could try running it with just the CPU, RAM and video. If that doesn't work try pullng out the RAM and see if you get error beeps, no beeps indicates either a possibly bad CPU or motherboard.

4. Chum

Chum

No beeps usually indicate BIOS is bad...if you want to try either of your processors on an upgraded mobo...try the Tyan Trinity 400 it has the option of Slot1 or socket 370.

5. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Thread Starter

Thank you Torgo, Wedor & Chum for spending time to help me solving this problem.

I carried out your suggestions, no beeping when system power on (can't do it by pressing the power button in the front, but have to use the switch on/off of the PSU) without RAMs in its slot

Have ordered a cheap Soltek VIA socket 370 mobo, it will arrives by Tuesday next week. I'll keep you inform.

Once again thank you so much for your help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice