1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CPU's Intel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crylynx, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crylynx

Crylynx Thread Starter

Hello need help

I have a p4p800-vm http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4P800-VM&langs=09 motherboard and my concern is about the 512kb and 1mb cache cpu's or do both work and which one is better. And one other thing is what does the letters stand for 3.0E or 3.0G or would someone have the link. Got lost in intel land lol.

Thanks

Crylynx

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    CPU: Socket 478 for Intel Pentium 4/ Celeron up to 3.4GHz+
    On-die 512KB/256KB L2 Cache with full speed
    Intel Hyper-Threading Technology ready
    New power design supports Intel next generation Prescott CPU

I have no clue what the e or g means. I only use AMDs.

3. Crylynx

Crylynx Thread Starter

Thanks for the response but if I go to asus it says that the 1m cache cpu will work also. Is the cache just in the cpu and does not affect the motherboard. Not sure here kinda lost.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    yeah it's on the cpu.

5. Crylynx

Crylynx Thread Starter

Can anyone explain this a little more?

Thaks
    Crylynx

6. Conrad747

Conrad747

7. Crylynx

Crylynx Thread Starter

8. Crylynx

Crylynx Thread Starter

need help deciding?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Northwood's run cooler. Prescott's have an 800Mhz FSB, 1MB L2 cache, 16KB L1 cache, Hyperthreading, and SSE3 instructions. While some Northwood's have some of these features, most Prescotts have all of them. These features could give more of an edge to the Prescotts as more applications are written to support it.

However the final decision is yours, and cost may play a part as well.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would opt for the northwood processor [actually I would opt for an AMD64 and an A8V asus board]

As posted the prescotts double as room heaters. If you do go for the E [prescott] make sure the case is up to cooling it. You need good case airflow along with quality ps.

11. Crylynx

Crylynx Thread Starter

I got a igloo 4360 heatsink with fan and also 3 case fans, and a 450 watt power supply. Will this be sufficient.

Thanks.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not familiar with that hsf. With a ps, quality is MUCH more important than a wattage rating. If the ps is made by deer, allied, foxconn, powmax, raidmax; do yourself a favor and dump it. Quality mfgs are Antec, Enermax, Coolmax, Enlight, Sparkle. There are other quality brands, however those are the ones I use.

13. Crylynx

Crylynx Thread Starter

its a L and C computer co ltd. Came in the xblade case. Got a 460 watt enermax in the kids guess could always switch him out.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I checked the specs on that ps. It is not what I would call a quality unit. The 12V rail is only 18 amps. It might be ok, however if you start running multiple drives, a number of fans, etc you might have a problem.

Where I checked that ps, it sold for $29.99. A quality 450W ps should run you at least $50.00.

15. rhorne4

rhorne4

If You Want To Spend A Little Money,get The Antec Neopower And You Can Power Anything.it Even Comes With Pci-x Cable.a Bit Pricy At Around $115.00 But A Great Ps.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice