1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cputa Beeps A Few Times And Nothing More?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PUG, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PUG

PUG Thread Starter

Hi, have recently installed 2k and then put a new TV card in, turned comp on and beeps a few times, absolutly no talk with monitor. Removed TV card and still just beeps on power up. CD and floppy still get attention but thats it ??????????

AMD 2000xp, 256mb ram, 20 gig,

HELP!

PUG

2. n2gun

n2gun

First do you know hat bios you have? The beeps are a way the bios has of telling you where to look. What is the beep code it is giving. (ie. 1 long 2 short)? If we know the bios and code it is giving it would help greatly.

3. PUG

PUG Thread Starter

What sorts of problems can this indicate? I think it is (1 long 2 short) actually. Will have to get that info soon, away from Comp at pres.
    thnx

4. ozinpho

ozinpho

Hi, what did you just install? Win2k or a 2.0Ghz cpu? A TV tuner card or a video card?
    If you put in a 2.0Ghz cpu then maybe your m/board will not accept that speed, or jumpers have to be set to accept it. Beeps usually mean something has been replaced wrongly or not seating properly.

5. PUG

PUG Thread Starter

I installed a ledtek TV tuner... Yeah thats what I thought too, that if I hadnt put in slot right then it would beep. so I removed but still beeps.

6. PUG

PUG Thread Starter

System BIOS
    SoftMenu™ III Technology to set CPU parameters
    Supports Plug-and-Play (PNP)
    Supports Advanced Configuration Power Interface (ACPI)
    Supports Desktop Management Interface (DMI)
    Write-Protect Anti-Virus function by AWARD BIOS

Motherboard is a Mainboard 1..

7. ozinpho

ozinpho

Yup, the beeps are not a nice sound, are they coming from the m/b speaker/beeper, are they regular morse code type? How about checking a m/b site that gives the beep codes and the probable faults linked to various beep messages.

8. PUG

PUG Thread Starter

Okay thanks ill look into that. Hope your avoiding the fires. Wgtn NZ. Ex Brunswick. :)

9. PUG

PUG Thread Starter

The BIOS beeps were 1 long 2 short. which according to the BIOS beep tables " http://support.iwill.net/beep.htm " was to do with the "Display card or monitor connected error".

Thanks guys I tried my monitor on another comp no probs, then took out my AGP vid card and put back in, still beeped, then held the monitor cable into the socket as I rebooted, and finally after trying a few boots and different angles the damned thing workd.

Unfortunately must be bad connection.

Much appriciated. ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice