1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CR-ROM not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vg19, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

Hi,
    when i put any kind of cd in my cd-rom dirve i get the message that says
    "windows cannot read from this disk. the disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatable with windows."

I get this message when i put any kind of cd in my drive.

What do I do?:confused:

2. mixx941

mixx941

What operating system are you running?

You can try to go into the device manager[95/98/ME: Right click on MY COMPUTER, PROPERTIES, DEVICE MANAGER. XP: Richt click on MY COMPUTER, PROPERTIES, HARDWARE, DEVICE MANAGER] and uncheck the box for auto insert. Then, restart your computer.

Hope this helped. Post back with your results :)

-Mark

3. slipe

slipe

If Mark’s suggestion doesn’t work remove the CD-ROM drive in Device Manager and reboot. Highlight the drive and select “Remove” at the bottom of Device Manager and OK. It will reload the drive with new drivers.

4. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

I cannot seem to find the box for auto insert....

PLease tell me where it is

5. john_waldrum

john_waldrum

I had the same problem with another computer and AcaCandy advised me to uncheck DMA and auto insert in the device manager cd rom properties and my problem went away and I have not had a problem since.

6. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

Well, its been a long time since I replied to this tread. But i went ahead and formatted my computer and I still have th same problem. I am running Windows XP pro. When I insert a cd and then eject the cdrom, i can tell it is spinning by the different postion. Could there be a more serious harware problem? How would I fix it? BTW, I could not figure out how to uncheck DMA and Autoinsert in XP pro. If you could tell me how to, it would be great!

7. stanggt2

stanggt2

you might want to clean you cd-rom with a cleaning cd i had the same problem and it worked for me hope this helps you

8. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

Hi,

I will try to get a cleaing cd. But in the mean time, is there any way I can take off the case of my computer and check if any connections are loose?

Any website with pictures would be great.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Basically what you are looking for is the power connector from the power supply to the drive....and the gray cable from the drive to the motherboard......more than likely these are ok if you see the cdrom drive in 'my computer.'

10. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

Hi once again,

I bought the maxell lens cleaner and it did not help. My cd-rom is still not reading the cds. Do you know what else I can do. Is there anyway I can take out the cdrom from the computer and manually clean the lens?:confused:

11. ~Candy~

Will it read your XP disk? I just noticed you said you formatted....so obviously the drive is working in dos mode for you to have reinstalled the operating system?

12. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

No it wont read the XP disk. I have two cd-rom drives. I hade to use my burner to install XP.

13. ~Candy~

Well, my best guess is, if you can't access it in dos, the drive needs replaced :(

14. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

Thanks....
    But is there anyway that I can clean the lens manually by taking the cd-rom out?

15. vg19

vg19 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am going to get my drive replaced. What I need now is instructios on how to take out the drive. When I opened up my computer, I notice a lot of wires. So if you could give me a site with pictures on how to take out my cd-rom dirve, that would be great!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice