CR-RW burning speed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

missfuffy

Have a new Dell, XP, CD-RW drive. For the first time I experimented with backing up a very large file by burning it onto a CD-RW disk. Dell came with Roxio.
I am a thorough newbee re: this procedure.
Roxio offered me only one speed, 2X {maybe it was 4 }. It took 14 minutes to complete. SLOW..... Does the burn speed depend on the program one is using? If so, is there a program which offers a faster speed?

i am not familiar with roxio but with most burning software you can burn at the max speed of your burner...you just need to set the speed to max......

It also can depend on the CD-RW's you use. Some have a specified max burn rate. I have not bought any for a while, but it seems like the ones I bought were 4x max. With the price of regular cd's now being cheap, especially if you get them on a sale or rebate, I mostly use cd's for back up instead of cd-rw's.

telecom69

Gone but never forgotten
Hi there.the average speed as far as Im aware is about 4x,thats what I use and never had any probs with that,I think you can get faster but the faster you go the more risky it is in my opinion for what its worth,and 14 minutes isnt so bad really,if I were you I would stick with that ...... ;)
Nero burning rom,goes at 4x by the way,you could try that,there is a trial version on offer at most download sites.....
Try here first......http://nero.com/en/index.html#root

What I forgot to say in my first post there was that you can burn at higher speeds on the cd-r's than on the cd-rw's. Some burners will burn at 12x or more. Make sure you have "burn-proof", which Nero has. I have never used Roxio.

It is the cd-rw's that are limited to 4x. (Or used to be) That's why, if you get cd-r's really cheap and you want to burn at fast speeds, it doesn't cost as much as it used to. CD-R's are a lot cheaper than CD-RW's.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
CD-R media can be had nowadays to at least 52x speed, I have 48x CD-R media onhand. I also picked up some CD-RW media rated at 12x recently, since my drive will record at re-writable at 12x. One thing to note, if you buy CD-RW media rated at 10-12x, it may not burn correctly at slower speeds. I think this applies to CD-R media too, though I've yet to encounter a problem with CD-R burning.

As everyone has already pointed out, either you are using 4X rated RW media or your burner is limited to a 4X re-write speed. If your CD writer is rated 12-4-24 that means it will record to CDR at 12X, to RW at 4X and will read at 24X. Most newer burners analyze the media and will not burn faster than the speed the blank media will handle. 4X RW media is common, and if your burner is new the media is likely the limitation.

I completely agree with suzi. Best Buy has a 75 pack of 40X 700Mb CDs for 99c after rebate. That is barely over a penny a CD. If they work at all with your burner they will be a more stable and secure place to store something than RW, and you can write at the full speed of the burner. If you look around you can find quality brands on sale for pennies as well. If I lived outside the US where CDRs weren’t almost free I would probably find use for RWs, but there isn’t much reason to use them here.

Unless you have a poor quality burner or are using poor quality CDRs, a modern burner is optimized to burn at its maximum rated speed and often does a better job at that speed on quality media rated for the speed. Software has to support buffer underrun systems like burn-proof, but it a feature built into the burner – not the software.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online