1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cracked laptop screen; want to define what area of monitor should be used

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by csidle, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. csidle

csidle Thread Starter

My fathers laptop screen seems to have gotten a crack at the bottom. It doesn't affect the rest of his screen, and he needs to work over Christmas before returning home, where he'll get a replacement. As a temporary solution, I've moved the trask bar to the top of the screen, and reduced the resolution. It has helped a bit, so the computer is at least usable.

However, he's going to be making a newsletter for his company over the christmas, which he needs the entire screen for, he says. I was wondering anyone knew of any applications that would allow him to define what area of the monitor is used to render the screen, like an app that basically fools windows into thinking that the monitor only goes from point x to point y (in height).

I tried googling a bit, but searching for "adjust screen area" is so broad it's hard to find anything even remotely useful. :(

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    i can offer u the suggestion that until he gets the screen replaced if u have another monitor from a desktop computer u can hook it up to the the laptop and use it until such time the other one is replaced. when my sons laptop computer screen totally died thats what i did to retrieve all his documents to put in another computer.u will then have a full size working monitor so u can see what u r doing. hope this helps u.

3. csidle

csidle Thread Starter

Yeah, thanks, but we don't have any monitors not in use at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion though.

4. DeathPgt

DeathPgt

If your laptop also has a svideo out you can use a television. Thats what I did

but no I dont know of any programs like that tho it would be handy

5. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I think i uderstand what you are trying to do
    so lets make a new toolbar to take up some space
    If the bottom of the screen is blank as you moved task bar to top
    then proceed as follows
    make a folder on your desktop
    now drag it to the very bottom of the screen and release

that will get you a dumb looking toolbar but will sqeeze everything else to the middle.

post back and let me know if that works for you

6. csidle

csidle Thread Starter

brett888: Thanks for the idea! :D I've set it up for him and it looks like it works as I wanted it to (after setting 'always on top' on it).

7. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

no problem glad i can help

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/781168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice