1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cracked LCD Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by varrd, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. varrd

varrd Thread Starter

I have a Gateway laptop modle6518gz with a cracked LCD screen . How can i replace the screen.

2. Compiler

Compiler

Buy a new notebook.

Cost to locate the OLD screen and have it installed (labor + parts) will cost more than a $500~600 replacement unit.

But you can still hook the notebook to a monitor and press the Fn key for external output.

3. Gnomad

Gnomad

You should be able to get a new screen for $310 and install it yourself. You could also get a slightly blemished screen for around $180. I have bought screens from LCDs4Less
    It is really not very hard to replace the screen yourself here are instructions that show you how it is done.

4. varrd

varrd Thread Starter

Thanks guys

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try Ebay. I went looking for an old model to replace the screen on my laptop and ended up with a lot of 3 identical to mine for $25. They were missing hard drives and memory, but very good for parts and the processors were still there. I think I'll be able to build 2 running machines from the parts.

6. Compiler

Compiler

Agreed... if you're willing and or have the time to do so. $25 for parts notebook may not be a bad deal.

I was looking at the notebook being quite a few years old. Walmart & best buy sells notebooks for $550~600 with 2GB RAM, 15' screens etc...

7. varrd

varrd Thread Starter

I tryied the fn key nothing happends do I hold somthing else also

8. Gnomad

Gnomad

You also need to press one of the F keys at the top of your keyboard, on my Gateway Tablet PC it is the F4 key.

9. Compiler

Compiler

Need to hold it down while pressing the display button. The Fn key on notebooks is for hardware control - it is OS independent. IE: Its not a Windows function. You can control screen brightness and volume control, numeric keypad, etc.

Its like a SHIFT or ALT key. It does nothing unless you press it with another key.

10. varrd

varrd Thread Starter

Thanks guys it worked

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/675649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice