1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cracked monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by acolasur, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acolasur

acolasur Thread Starter

my gateway 5350 laptop running win2000 has a cracked, unreadable screen. I've tried to get to the data three different ways: by hooking up a monitor (no good), by trying to use a scan converter (no good) and by swapping a hard drive out of a 5300 laptop running win 8 (no good, they're two different sizes). All I really waant to be able to do is to get the data off the drive. I'm not replacing the screen because it costs $550 and the computer on its way out anyway.
    I'm a Mac guy anyway, so I'm not quite sure how to do peer to peer with windows. Can I connect the 5300 to the broken 5350 with a crossover ethernet cable? Then what? I'm not sure what the network settings are on the broken 5350 -- i can't see them now anyway.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. rugrat

rugrat

Sounds like you have tried the obvious, just a suggestion, can you remove the harddrive and put it in another machine as a slave? Or at least hook it up as a slave?

SeeYa

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You can buy IDE adapters quite cheaply to allow laptop drives to plug into a desktop, and that would be the simplest way.

An external monitor on the laptop should work (toggle on/off with Fn-F5 usually)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice