cracked monitor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

acolasur

my gateway 5350 laptop running win2000 has a cracked, unreadable screen. I've tried to get to the data three different ways: by hooking up a monitor (no good), by trying to use a scan converter (no good) and by swapping a hard drive out of a 5300 laptop running win 8 (no good, they're two different sizes). All I really waant to be able to do is to get the data off the drive. I'm not replacing the screen because it costs $550 and the computer on its way out anyway.
I'm a Mac guy anyway, so I'm not quite sure how to do peer to peer with windows. Can I connect the 5300 to the broken 5350 with a crossover ethernet cable? Then what? I'm not sure what the network settings are on the broken 5350 -- i can't see them now anyway.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like you have tried the obvious, just a suggestion, can you remove the harddrive and put it in another machine as a slave? Or at least hook it up as a slave?

SeeYa

You can buy IDE adapters quite cheaply to allow laptop drives to plug into a desktop, and that would be the simplest way.

An external monitor on the laptop should work (toggle on/off with Fn-F5 usually)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online