1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cracked screen on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by COMPretard, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. COMPretard

COMPretard Thread Starter

I stepped on my laptop and cracked my screen. I have it running thru an older monitor, only thing is that I have to run in safe mode with networking. I have heard there's a way to disable the laptop screen from booting up and then I can run normal mode again. Is this possible?

2. CathalA

CathalA

Disabling the monitor in Device Manager should work.

Right click My Computer -> Click Properties -> Select the Hardware tab -> Select Device Manager -> Expand the Monitors section

There should be a list of monitors, the list differs from computer to computer...

Right click the broken one and select disable to disable it.

Make sure you disable the right one, you might end up disabling the older monitor you are using, then you won't be able to see... ;)

3. COMPretard

There's only one device manager, right? I went into it and I don't see where monitors would be

4. CathalA

CathalA

Hmm... Yes, there is only one Device Manager.

Are you quite sure? Monitors should be in there, with a "+" to the left for expanding the menu. You might have to scroll down a bit.

I have attached a screenshot if it helps...:) Your menu will be slightly different obviously.

Attached Files:

5. COMPretard

Where yours says monitors, mine says modem. No monitor. How could I take a screen shot, f3? Then how do I attach it?

6. CathalA

CathalA

If you wanted to take a screenshot you would press Print Screen on your keyboard and then paste in to an image editor, like Microsoft Paint, but personally I would recommend Paint.NET ;) (y)

But I don't think a screenshot will help this particular time.

What is it exactly that stops you from booting up normally as opposed to Safe Mode?

Also, you may be able to disable your screen in the BIOS. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the BIOS in Acer laptops, but if you don't know how a Google search will quickly tell you. :eek:

7. GerryH

GerryH Banned

Try the easy way first. Look at your keyboard (across the top row- the function, or, F-keys). Look for a symbol that looks like a monitor screen - some show 2 simular screens.

Press-n-hold down the Function (Fn) key, (usually @ lower left of keyboaard), then also press the F# key (at the top) w/the symbol that looks like a PC monitor screens.

If your PC monitor is connected and on - doing the above should 'toggle' back and forth from the laptop screen to the Monitor screen, (not both).

Or, try the super-easy way. Read in the user manual how to toggle between screens ;-)

GerryH

8. CathalA

CathalA

I think the problem is that the screen being active is preventing him from starting Windows other than in Safe Mode.
    Also, I would imagine COMPretard has already done this to get his external monitor working.

9. COMPretard

My comp will start up in normal mode, just the screen doesnt work. So, restart it, let it boot up normal. Then hit my f6 and fun button and it should go to my external monitor? Thank you guys

10. CathalA

CathalA

If that is indeed the case, and you do that, it should work. Let us know.

11. COMPretard

it didnt, it turned off the cracked screen, but the other one didnt come on. Still would like to know why I cant find it in the device mgr

12. CathalA

CathalA

You may need to press the key combination a number of times before your monitor comes on, as it cycles through a few different modes. Press it, then wait about 7 seconds. If there is no result, press it again, and so on. If nothing happens after about 4 presses we will have to think of something else.

Make sure you are pressing the right keys. As GerryH said, you need to hold down Fn and then press one of your F keys. The one you are looking for may have a picture of a monitor(s) on it, or it may say CRT/LCD or something similar.
    It should say something about it in your machine's manual.
    From what I can gather on the Internet, on Acers it seems to be F5.

13. casper0191

casper0191

Well you might also consider on getting a new LCD for it in repair center services.

14. COMPretard

I tried doing it again and again. It would just go back to the broken screen.
    As for Caspers comment, it would cost just as much to replace it

15. casper0191

casper0191

Well yes that is the price to pay to fix it because sooner or later you'll going to decide to get it fix or you'll just end up buying a new laptop.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/857107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice