1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crackin' the case on an ACER Aspire ES1-511

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jontro, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jontro

jontro Thread Starter

OK, I know I didn't buy the biggest, baddest box on the block, but, as a side note, it seems to pretty well fill the gap between my smartphone and monster desktop.

All right, down to business. The ES1 come with 4 Gb of memory and can handle up to 8 Gb. While waiting for the laptop to be delivered, I went ahead and order the 8 Gb upgrade from Crucial. Confirmed with them that it would work. Would just be a simple replacement. But unlike other laptops that I've owned in the past, those with a separate covers for battery, memory, and HD (yeh, those), the ES1 has everything inside the case. Nothing is accessible. So before I got my hammer and chisel out, I wanted to know what to expect.

I contacted ACER support and was told that the MB has to be removed to replace the memory chip. Where did these design engineers get their training, from label of a Cracker Jacks box? Like a little extra plastic and a couple of screws would not have sent the price into the stratosphere. Support couldn't give me any information as to what it would take to do the upgrade, i.e., opening the case and removing the board. I even asked it there was a tech manual that I could refer to and was told one didn't exist. I find this hard to believe. Next I went to the ACER support forums and got the same runaround. On the web there not much more than a bunch (100s if not 1000s) of copycats doing the same datasheet reviews. The problem is that nobody's addressing the upgrading issues, memory and HD/SSD.

There's 18 screws crisscrossing the back and only 1 actually releases something. the cover for the DVD bay. With all the screws out, the back cover is on just as tight as it was with the screws. I'm assuming that there are some hooks on the casing that need to be leveraged but I can't seem to make out where they would be. There's no "Warranty Void" seals anywhere on the outside case, so it appears to be fair game to get inside and do the work.

If anybody here has any ideas, please don't hesitate to get back to me.

Thx in advance.

BTW: I'm quite comfortable working in and around circuit boards and such. Have all the proper tools and safety gear. So just get me inside the case and I can take it from there.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I can't find anything online but I do have a couple of things you can try.

Sometimes extra screws are hidden under any rubber feet or labels on the bottom.

Keyboards often have small protrusions on the sides or the edge nearest the screen and can be lifted with a bit of judicious wiggling/prizing - but be careful here and lift it slowly so you don't damage the ribbon cable(s) underneath.

Try to use a plastic tool to do any opening up of the 'hooks', a guitar pick works well.

It does look like Acer designed that laptop to be difficult to open though.

3. jontro

jontro Thread Starter

Thx for your time.

Already checked under all 5 rubber feet. No screws just a recessed area. The keys on the keyboard are protruding thru cutouts in the top cover, no screws appear to be anywhere on or around the keyboard surface.

So the mystery continues.

Thx for the guitar pick suggestion. Have plenty of those on hand.

Will post any progress as it comes due. If I can figure it out and ACER doesn't get more cooperative, I see a YouTube video in the future.

4. octodecoy

octodecoy

take out all the screws, then push the screen down until it wont go any further, then start pulling apart starting at the optical bay. the little hooks/tabs can be hard to undo but i managed to get it off. just dont pull the panel off to hard as there is 3 ribbons connected.

5. pessimism

pessimism

Please reply back with your progress. Even a few clear photos of the laptop once opened would be great. I am in the exact same boat waiting to put an SSD into mine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1131668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice