1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crackling and popping Sounds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barrygol, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barrygol

barrygol Thread Starter

I am at the end of my rope and hoping someone can provide some help. I have a Aptiva PC (AMD K6 400mhz Processor - 192MB) and am getting nasty noise and pops on SOME .wav files. I started on Win98 and ended up on Win 2k with the same symptoms. The onboard sound card is an ESS Solo. It doesn't appear to be a driver problem, as I installed a SB 16 (ISA) sound card and ended up with the exact same problems. Some sounds are fine (the Utopia set) others (like Chord.wav) are LOUD and Crackle and pop. I've tried running dxdiag and messages say everything is fine, yet I still get nasty noises.... I can't say for sure, but the first time this happened was installing a kid's game and I think it took me to a new release of Directx (5.0??) Anyone have any ideas???

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Do you have another set of speakers you can test?

3. barrygol

barrygol Thread Starter

I suspected the speakers and actually plugged in a headset to the speaker out port - same results.

4. ~Candy~

Can the ISA card be moved to another slot? Or do you have only 1?

5. barrygol

barrygol Thread Starter

I need to thank you for responding so quickly. Unfortunately, I only have 1 ISA slot. To provide more information, I actually bought a PCI sound card and installed that. Same results.... Could I be short on memory? What about some sort of hardware incompatibility? Thanks for the interest!!!

6. ~Candy~

Well, unfortunately, I've seen similar things happen in Packard Bells....I can't say I ever was able to figure out the problem....

Memory and crackling sounds usually aren't related........you did disable the onboard sound, correct?

7. barrygol

barrygol Thread Starter

I tried a bunch of things using the onboard sound card and then disabled it before installing the PCI card. At this point, I'm running out of ideas and wonder whether I'll ever be able to solve this.... I'd be GLAD to try any other ideas you come up with. Thanks again for taking an interest.

8. rosh325

rosh325

this may sound stupid but ever try adjusting the output levels for bass etc.......sometimes certain frequencies dont come through as clear b/c of level problems.....if you can, try adjusting your music settings

9. barrygol

barrygol Thread Starter

At this point, no suggestions are stupid! I thank you for taking a look. The SB card allows for treble/bass adjustment. They are at a very low level, but I'll try adjusting further to see if it makes a difference. I've also tried reducing the wav table level slider to a real low level - that hasn't worked... I'll get back to you.

In the meantime - anyone else with ideas is welcome to respond!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!