1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Craftsman Lawn Mover starting problems

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by skernk2, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skernk2

skernk2 Thread Starter

I have a Craftsman 917377651 self propelled mower with a Tecumseh carb. The mower starts fine but won't stay running more than a few seconds. If I press wth primer button and keep it pressed in it will keep running. I have tried cleaning the carb. Have taken it apart and sprayed gunk removal on all parts. I took of the brass screw, cleaned out with a wire all the small holes but nothing with get it running properly. My guess is the brass trottle plate on the top of carb that is held by the wire rod that goes to the connector (not sure what it is called) is causing the problem. It seems to float in and out while running. Could the spring be damaged causing that part to not work properly? I have tried buying a new Tecumseh carb on Ebay, which seems to be the most reasonalby prices, but they don't sell the two connecting rods with the carb and I am concerned that I may have bent them taking the carb off so many times. What should I do? For all the time I am spent trying to fix this damn mower I could have bought a new one.

2. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

I had an identical problem and also thought it was the carb.

I eventually took it to a repair shop, and he told me I had put too much oil in - he removed it, cleaned everything and it's now like brand new.

3. Koot

Koot

If you have gas coming out of the carb (and especially gas coming out the exhaust) your carb's float is probably stuck down, or the float needle is stuck open. I suspect all it needs is a carb rebuild. Any small engine shop can rebuild it for you.

4. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1100901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice