1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crappy Sound after emailing sound files

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Alisonnos, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alisonnos

Alisonnos Thread Starter

I am running Audacity on a new 64 bit computer, running Vista. I had got my sound really good, good enough to do voice auditions, but now when I convert my Wav file to mp3 and send it to myself, the sound is awful. Why is there such a difference, when it sounds so good in Audacity or on my file converter?

2. Hughv

Hughv

What bit rate are you using?

3. Alisonnos

Alisonnos Thread Starter

16 bit. It has to be 128kpbs or less I am on a 32 bit float on one section, but everything else is 16 bit mono. It worked well before, so I assumed this was a good formulae.

4. stantley

stantley

If you're allowed up to 128 kbps then that's what I would use. 16 kbps mono is one of the smallest bitrates there is, that's why the sound quality isn't very good.

5. Alisonnos

Alisonnos Thread Starter

I only have the facility on Audacity for 16 bit, it seems, apart from one section where i can check off 32 bit float. It worked well before on this. When I go into the control panel, 16 bit is all that is available, for CD for Radio etc. I have a 64 bit computer, so how do i increase the capacity? Do I have to use different software? I have Sonar LE, but I thought Audacity was easier to understand. Thank you. This is a headache for a non tech person. I appreciate it.

6. stantley

stantley

I'd like to help you but I use Magix Audio Cleaning Lab for all of my audio editing and I haven't used Audacity for a long time.

But there a lot of people here that use Audacity so hopefully one of them can help you.

7. Alisonnos

Alisonnos Thread Starter

Thank you everyone that has responded. Now I am discovering that it is the mp3 conversion that is the problem. The wav sounds fine. I have a converter, because my computer will not locate the encoder? even though I downloaded it, so I use NCH converter, and purchased the upgrade as i thought that was the problem. Obviously my auditions are needed in MP3 as it is quicker for the engineers and clients to listen. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

8. Alisonnos

Alisonnos Thread Starter

Duh!! I have just adjusted some settings. Now it is fine. I do have another question for any of you techies. On the drop down menu under my settings under sound on my control panel, 16 bit CD or Radio quality seems to be the max, yetIi have a 64 bit computer!!?? How do I increase its capacity. What is 32 bit float in Audacity? Thanks.

9. Changster

Changster

Ahem. Right the 64 bit computer part has nothing to do with audio but the type of CPU type it is. And under the control panel when it says 16 bit it means that thats the highest your converter can go up to.

10. Alisonnos

Alisonnos Thread Starter

Oh thank you!!! So i know that that is the best quality i can get with this set up. ...Is there any other way externally, that I can increase quality> ,,,or does the 16 bit capacity limit everything period?

11. Changster

Changster

you can try and get a new converter. and i wouldn't recommend moving past that quality becuase the file will end up being too big and you won't be able to send it.

12. Alisonnos

Alisonnos Thread Starter

Thank you!!!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/825792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice