1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crash after crash after crash!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by RachelS, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RachelS

RachelS Thread Starter

Hey everyone, it's my first time posting here, so hopefully I get this all right. I've been having issues for the past year or so with my computer crashing randomly. It can happen any time of day, running any amount of programs, but it does seem to happen more often when I'm running something with higher graphics demand. It comes without warning, no lag/freezing/stuttering of any sort, and sounds will stop, and my monitor looks like it's been disconnected, but I can hear the PC still running as usual, no strange sounds from inside the tower.
    I have weekly scheduled defrags and virus checks (I've used Trend Micro's Housecall in past as well as Windows' own new virus program and have seen a virus or two in the past, but no issues removing them and none recently). I have used CCleaner and Registry Clean Expert to check my registry for errors. I also have a program called Driver Checker that scans all my drivers and theoretically they should all be updated. I'm at my wit's end with this thing.

Here's the info from this site's own system info scanner. If anything else is needed please let me know and I'll post it.

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor, x64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 2814 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X1250, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 147761 MB, Free - 17226 MB; D: Total - 147488 MB, Free - 31447 MB; F: Total - 76308 MB, Free - 39818 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer , F690GVM , ,
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. RachelS

RachelS Thread Starter

Oh and I've recently cracked her open and blew her clean with compressed air.

3. kenny111111

kenny111111

1st thing to do is get fully updated with MS..

4. RachelS

RachelS Thread Starter

That gets done weekly, and I checked before posting that there are no updates. I declined SP 2 whenever it came out, because it instantly crashes my computer every time I've tried it, but other than that it's all updated.

5. kenny111111

kenny111111

6. RachelS

RachelS Thread Starter

The update I had for my graphics card was from MS updates, but I went to the amd site and it seems there was a new one. Downloaded it and installed/rebooted. Guess I'll see if that fixes it!

7. kenny111111

kenny111111

good luck,

stay away from the "registry cleaners" they do way more harm than good!!!

8. RachelS

RachelS Thread Starter

Bah. No luck here yet. Just crashed while watching Netflix on Firefox. Any other ideas? :/

9. kenny111111

kenny111111

go to C:/windows/minidumps, see if theres any dump files there..

10. RachelS

RachelS Thread Starter

Nothing in there, folder's empty.

11. kenny111111

kenny111111

go to the acer site, put in your info see what comes up (for new drivers) if it suggests a chipset driver do that one 1st then the others in any order...I would bookmark that page as you will need to reboot in between..
    http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx

good luck

12. RachelS

RachelS Thread Starter

Downloading chipset driver as we speak. I'll see how it goes! Thanks for your help so far though, Kenny :)

13. RachelS

RachelS Thread Starter

Just had another crash and a DMP file appeared in the minidump folder. Also, when I try to install the chipset driver an error message comes up; "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package." Am I doing something wrong? Also, do you want to see the dmp file? If so, how do I go about sharing it?

14. kenny111111

kenny111111

15. RachelS

RachelS Thread Starter

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/bsod-kinda-545896.html I forgot to mention the dmp file in the title >< but I kind of came out of a blonde moment feeling when I noticed that my power supply is only 120w, unless I'm calculating it wrong. 12v x 10a = 120w does it not? I have a friend that bought a 750 for his new PC and has an unused 400w he'll give me next time I'm over. I still submitted my info, just in case there's something else behind the crashes.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!