1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crash-after uninstall of Crawler Spyware Terminator

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kprance, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

First, my appologies for starting a new thread.. in what MAY be even the wrong forum? BUT this is a new problem with my comp failing to boot properly.

BACKGROUND PROBLEM:
    In past posts I have explained the problems I have been having with my desktop computer. (an older HP celeron with new HD & everything else except the motherboard & chip - running XP pro).
    1) I aquired a virus that my onboard software would/could not rectify(webroot & MS Onecare) This virus blocks potential "help" and secuirty sites. It blocks THIS one.
    2) while looking for a fix, I turned on "MS's Auto update" to my surprise, one of the files downloaded was was SP2. I thought SP2 was already installed, but I went ahead with the installation. During the SP2 install I had a (neighborhood) power failure. Upon restart my computer would only open the WIndos XP opening bage, then go to the B/W bios page - and then start over. I could not get the system to boot from the original XP disc.
    3) in desperation I took the comp. to a local comp. repair service. The guy there - who I realize now is a total flake - charged me $125, told me he had cleaned the virus and to take my comp home and back up my files, then return it to him and he would reinstall the OS.
    CURRENT PROBLEM:
    4) After I got the system put back together and started it, it was obvious that the comp. was still badly infected with the unknown virus. I ran all available anti spyware/virus programs that I had on board with no luck. The only website that I found that was not blocked ( for upgrades) was "Crawler - Spyware Terminator). I downloaded either an upgrade of new version - not sure - ran it, and of course it found nothing. I went into the control panel , Add/delete to get rid of the usless program. I found "crawler spyware terminatore tool bar" and I hit uninstall. After the uninstall process it asked me if I wanted to restart the computer. I hit "yes"

Now my computer will not restart. I get:
    1) The B/W Bios page.
    2) A B/W "Please select opeating system to start" NOTE: for reasons explained *later I now have 2 OS's listed here - BOTH are "microsoft windows xp professional"
    3) anothe B/W page stating: We appologize for any delay, but WIndows did not start suscessfully" - followed by the various "safe mode" options and "normal startup". When ANY option is tried it goes to -
    4) The Windows XP pro logo page, anad then
    5) A BLUE page stating:
    A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS SHUT DOWN TO PROTECT YOUR COMPUTER.

THE VIDEO DRIVER HAS FAILED TO INITIALIZE.

CHECK TO MAKE SURE ANY NEW HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE IS PROPERLY INSTALLED.

then the standard boilerplate text about;

IF PROBLEMS CONTINUE DISABLE OR REMOVE NEW HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE AND DISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTIONS SUCH AS CACHING OR SHADOWING IF YOU NEED TO USE SAFE MODE........etc.

then, at the bottom of the page:

TECH INFO:

*** STOP: 0x00000000 B4 (0x00000000,0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00050000)
    BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY
    DUMPING PHYSICAL MEMORY TO DISC: 1

(counts to 100 and starts all over)

I did a non destructive rebuild (as shown here on this site) useing the orig XP disc,
    and went into the recovery console and reloaded the boot sector (as also shown in the same article)..... Both with no changes... well, except that* now I have two systems listed in the "please select system to start" page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys, I would not be such a P.I.T.A. and bother you so much about this one computer, but this one litterally has my life on it. I though I had "bullet proofed" this one, because it has went for so long without any problems that I couldn't fix myself and this isn't my "gameing computer, or one I play/surf with. I recently had some heart trouble and heart surgery ( and a minor stroke that kind of fried some of my memory. been working with computers since 1970. Guess it was time for MY HD to fail:eek:). Due to the heart problems I got fired from my job. This computer has most all of my medical and related financial records, everything from my resumes & employment history to the graphics for my business cards on it. So I have to have those files to even continue looking for a new job. And yes I was a fool for not backing it up, but that is a lesson that I have learned well...
    Still appricate ANY help you can give me to at least get this thing up long enough to save my files. Thanks so much for your time & work. Sorry again for so many posts.

Desperate - Kerry

2. Ingraved

Ingraved

I can make a suggestion to recover your files not fix your computer. remove your HDD and plug it in to another computer. browse the files of the HDD and recover the things you need. if it is a laptop you can buy portable HDD that are laptops sized and take the case apart and plug in the other HDD. one way to save valuable documents is to email them to yourself on a webbased email. This way you can access them from any computer.

3. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! Wouldn't downloading files from the virus infected computer most likely infect the new host computer? some of my highest priority files are on Explorer & OutlookExp. Whatever this virus is it went through every bit of security software that I had (software that had kept me "clean" for 2 years) And this would neccesitate buying a new computer. I really need to get this one back up ($$$).

I would like to ad that I have tried to contact "Crawler" about the failure, and found it impossible. In thier website they offer no CSR, or email direct link - only a "help forum".
    To post on this forum, you must register. To register you have to give them your email address and wait for a conformation response - and answer it. I have registered 2 times with 2 different emails, and have failed to recieve a [conformation response] email from them yet after several days. I can only assume that their product is so faulty that they have given up on it.

Thanks again & still hoping for help!

4. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

P.S. If I have to go the "remove HD & download to another comp" route.... how do I do this? ( I mean the download, I'm experienced with the removal). Is there anywhere on this site - or others that gives a step-by-step, with detail of what sort of connectors I will need, etc. Thanks again!

5. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

OK.... I donated some money! NOW will anyone help me with this?

6. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

your out of line with this response, everyone here helps out on their own good will, we do not get paid.

Ingraved has offered you a solution, which I also said the same on your other post ( didn't see this one right away). I doubt you have to worry about a virus by connecting it to your other computer, the infection on that disk would have to be triggered by an applications starting or your OS...when you plug the disk in find the files you need copy them to either a USB stick or burn a data CD/DVD... when you are comfortable that you have everything then later on you can reformat the drive and re-install an OS if you want to use it back in the other computer.

*I know some files can harbour viruses, but I think the risk is low, and if you have good virus protection it will get trapped.

7. Kprance

Kprance Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't mean to be "out of line".... just really desperate. I've got good help here in the past, and tried to help others - when I knew I was competent to do so. So I just couldn't understand why I wasn't getting any responses. Figured that a contribution might be required now. Look, i'm living on plavex & nitro with no work/insurance. I just need to get my will & resumes & med files off this "HP worst piece of garbage" comp. I have ever owned (and I started in 69 on an IBM 029 keypunch...) No insult ment. Thanks again for any/all help,
    Kerry

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!