1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crash in NTDLL

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sreevan, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sreevan

sreevan Thread Starter

I upgraded my system from windows 2000 professional to windows xp and reinstalled MS Visual Studio 6.0. The application developed by me that was working properly now crashes even before it enters into InitInstance and have no clue as to why it is happening so. I tried creating a new application it just worked. Please somebody guide me through this traumatical problem.

2. mt2002

mt2002

How is it crashing? What language? Is it a Win32 app? Console? Posix? et al...?

You can also just try creating a new project workspace in visual studio and add your files to it. This may take a little while though if you have a medium to large scale project, but it may fix the problem.

*edit: Also, I highly recommend upgrading to 2005 or 2008 express editions. The 6.0 version of visual studio is depreciated and should not be used.

3. sreevan

sreevan Thread Starter

It is a Win32 application and it is a very large scale project. Client pressure is making me do this otherwise i would spend time in upgrading the project to VS 2008. I would definitely try your suggestion and let you know. Thanks.

4. sreevan

sreevan Thread Starter

Even after adding all files into new project and compiling, stuck at the same point. The ntdll crash is still haunting me. Request somebody to help.

5. mt2002

mt2002

Your program may crash pointing to system modules (ntdll.dll, ntkrnl, etc..) This almost always means that your code is doing something it isnt supposed to. (ie, calling the system API with incorrect values. I had this happen several times to me)

What I recommend is running your program through a debugger. (VS 2008 comes with one). When it crashes, break into the debugger and look at the stack trace to see what routine of yours the problem starts happening at. This way you know what routine within your program is doing something illegal.

I can post instructions if you need it. Or, If you are not using C or C++, the steps involved in doing this may be a little different.

6. sreevan

sreevan Thread Starter

Many thanks for your reply, truly obliged. The language used in VC++ and the execution crashes in NTDLL even before it enters into initinstance and so having great difficulty in finding out the problem. Please help, days are going by without any results to my efforts and it is severly bothering me. Request help.

7. sreevan

sreevan Thread Starter

This has been solved and found the reason to be a third party driver dll for smartcards not being compatible with XP. I removed DLL links of those drivers from a dll project which was linked again to the win 32 executable that i was trying to find the problem with. Thanks very much for the help extended.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!