Crash problem that effects desktop and task bar

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robgoblin

I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows 7 on it, about a month and a half ago. Ever since the first week a problem happens periodically, at least once a week if not more. The screen will turn black, usually flickering so I can see the mouse for a second, then it flickers black, then I see the mouse, etc.

Usually the only way I can fix it is by closing the laptop and waiting, then it will go into sleep mode. I get it started back up, and all the sudden I can no longer see my desktop, or the icons in my taskbar. I can get these back by changing and saving one property on each, then everything seems to be fine. This problem is not associated with a screen saver, it happens at seemingly random times. Sometimes when I'm dealing with a new program, but sometimes when I'm simply browsing the internet. It could be connected to google chrome I guess. This is really frustrating as I use my cpu for work, if someone could please help it would be greatly appreciated!

dai

see if there is anything listed in the event viewer at the time of the problem

the items are timestamped

robgoblin

Okay, I checked the events and I think I found one that is referring to what happened. I'm not sure what information is relevant so I'll just copy and paste some stuff:

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 1/15/2013 7:57:31 PM
Event ID: 7036
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Robo
Description:
The Windows Error Reporting Service service entered the running state.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="16384">7036</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-16T01:57:31.894752500Z" />
<EventRecordID>5127</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="700" ThreadID="4516" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Robo</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">Windows Error Reporting Service</Data>
<Data Name="param2">running</Data>
<Binary>5700650072005300760063002F0034000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

There's some other events around this time. One is "system entered sleep", I think that was me shutting the lid. Is this what you're talking about?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online