1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crash? Uninstall Norton Sec./Utilities

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by curiousgeri, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curiousgeri

curiousgeri Thread Starter

Hi There,:)

I need to uninstall a Norton 2000 Security and Utilities program prior to new security software installation. Minus saving the shared files are there any places in the PC that may not be obvious to me that I should look for the Norton files? Also, do I have any crash risks when uninstalling the utilities portion? Thanks a million!

curiousgeri

2. TOGG

TOGG

A lot depends on exactly which program you have and, to a certain extent, whether the replacement is another Symantec/Norton product. The later programs (2004 onwards) are very different and may react badly if anything of the older version is left over. CD versions of Norton products used to include a routine to find and uninstall earlier ones, but I don't know if the newer ones can deal with the old ones (if you see what I mean!).

There are tools and instructions about removing Norton products available on the Symantec website; http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

When I got rid of NAV 2003 and installed NOD32 I only used Add/Remove and didn't have any problems, but every system is different (I'm using '98) and I might have had problems if I'd been trying to install NAV 2005.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice