1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crash when playing games

Discussion in 'Games' started by mik1306, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mik1306

mik1306 Thread Starter

Since i got this computer i get this crash when playing any game. I have a photo of my screen in this link:
    http://i.imgur.com/p1Ve8IC.jpg

The sound carries on but breaks up, the computer is entirely unresponsive. Switching the computer off and on again (via power button) works fine and the computer starts up normally.

I know it isn't an overheating issue, the cpus and graphics card are around 40 C when this happens.
    The frequency of crashes doesn't seem to depend on the game, whether its a 10 year old game or skyrim on full whack the crashes happen at about the same rate.
    I've been through my drivers and updated everything, anyone know what might cause this ?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440S CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8131 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 153599 MB, Free - 55311 MB; D: Total - 1736813 MB, Free - 1431015 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M11AD
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015, Updated and Enabled

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have an ASUS M11AD desktop.

It doesn't appear to have one of the graphics devices in its specifications list.

Have you added/upgraded its graphics device?

Attached Files:

3. mik1306

mik1306 Thread Starter

No this thing came prebuilt, is there any way of fixing that?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not a gamer nor a hardware expert, so my input here is pretty limited.

Hopefully, one of the others can help you resolve the problem.

----------------------------------------------------------

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Overheating and/or power are probably the most common causes of problems with gaming machines. Can you provide the following info please:

- What are you using to monitor / check the system, CPU and GPU temperatures?
    - What is the exact make, model, wattage and approximate age of the power supply? You should be able to get this information from a stick / plate on the side of the power supply itself inside the case.
    - Can you confirm the machine linked by Frank (flavallee) above is your machine?
    - Did you purchase it new or second hand?

6. reheat

reheat

Have you tried the memory check at the start screen prior to the system start?

If the GPU temps are as low as you indicate and the crashes seem about the same time, every time you run the games there may be a bad simm in the stack as the games load more and more resources during play.

Sorry to say that there may be a bad simm even if it passes the system check as well. It might be useful to swap out the simms. You can pull two and rotate them into other slots till the crashing stops, if it does.

PS A bad Motherboard simm slot can do the same so look at them closely to make certain nothing obvious like bent or crossed pins or missing pins are present.

Make certain you also have updated the system Motherboard BIOS too. Reload the current one again as well to make sure it isn't corrupted.

Just a few things to try.

7. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Welcome to TSG! (y)

We should start with the graphics like flavallee pointed out.
    We need to know if that is for sure the one in there. If not, you may have the wrong drivers and that could be causing the problem.

Can you find a specific build number on it? Or any stickers or build sheets that may have come with it.
    You may need to open the case and have a careful look for numbers on the video card to see what it is.
    (do this with the machine off and unplugged of course and try not to touch too many things. one hand on the metal case to help prevent any static charges.)

8. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

Your graphics card is dying and needs to be replaced.

The graphic card's GPU is soldered to your board using something called BGA, which is essentially thousands of tiny little balls that the chip sits on. Over time due to thermal stress, those balls form cracks, and signals have trouble traveling through.

The PCB board, the balls, copper bads, and GPU itself expand while heated and shrink when cooled, as well as warp gradually over time. As a result the cracks in the BGA balls sometimes form a connection, and sometimes don't. This results in random graphical errors such as the one you see, as well as freezes, BSOD's, crashes, and reboots.

Replacing (or repairing through a process known as a "reflow") the card will fix the problem.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice