1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jilly24, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jilly24

Jilly24 Thread Starter

Bad day, bad day.
    I walked into my office to discover my cat lounging luxuriously on my open laptop. The computer was on, connected to the internet and when I discovered kitty the screen was black with a white cursor blinking in the upper left corner. The fan was running constantly and my attempts to shut down the computer failed. I finally ended up removing the battery to get the thing to turn off. Now that it's off, the orange light that shows the battery is being charged is constantly on, even when it's not plugged in and I can't get it to turn on. The power button is not responding and I don't know what else to do. I have removed the battery, replaced the battery and prayed to the heavenly computer gods to get this thing running again to no avail. Please help!! My life is on this computer!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Have you tried removing the battery and using the power adapter only?

Any stuck keys on the keyboard? Aren't cats wonderful? :eek:

:)

3. Jilly24

Jilly24 Thread Starter

Oh, I love my cat!!

I did try to pull the battery and run it off the power cord alone. No stuck keys, either. It looks as if the battery is charging now, but the power cord isn't even plugged in!
    It's like it's "stuck". Thanks for the help!

4. ~Candy~

I'm a cat lover too :)

I think I'd leave the battery out and leave it unplugged for awhile. Come back to it in a hour or so.

5. Jilly24

Jilly24 Thread Starter

Will do. Thanks again. I'll let you know if it's alive in an hour! Thanks so much!

6. Jilly24

Jilly24 Thread Starter

Alright, I left it for an hour and still no changes. NOTHING happens when I push the power button. Any other ideas? Thanks again!

7. winbob

winbob

Jilly,

What make/mdl of machine is this?

Is there only one light that comes on/stays on? Or more indicators...on or off?

One possibility is that the cat caused the machine to overheat...but evidently not to the point of auto shutdn. Overheating may have affected the charging circuit, or the battery?

Last guess for now...you know how a refrigerator light goes on/off with a little plunger button? Well my laptop...an HP has a similar tiiiiiiiinny button up and to the right of the Power On button. Sometimes it sticks in the down (lid closed) position. The machine will not start up until I "blip" it and it pops up. Does your machine have such a micro button? Check it out.

I have 3 cats...they love to lay on warm things..that's a given. ;)

8. Jilly24

Jilly24 Thread Starter

It is a Gateway Solo 1450 and normally there are two indicator lights - the charging the battery light which is the one that is constantly orange now and the power on light, which I have yet to see. I left the thing unplugged with the battery out all night long thinking it might need to just settle down but this morning it's the same story. I put the battery back in, orange light came on and nothing happens when I try to power up. So I plugged it in, nothing. When I found the cat the fan was running continuously so I suppose it could have overheated but the cat was on it for maybe 10 minutes tops. Arrgghhh.

9. ~Candy~

Any chance it's still under warranty?

Your post made me think of this email I got a few days ago, hope you'll find it funny despite your situation :(

Attached Files:

10. winbob

winbob

Candy,

I hope that was a "TOUGHBOOK" :D :D :D

11. ~Candy~

I hope it was under warranty :D

12. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

Can't help you with your problem Jilly, but I loved Candy's photo.

13. Jilly24

Jilly24 Thread Starter

No warranty, unfortunately. Do you think a computer repair center would be able to help me? I haven't gotten anywhere over the phone.

14. halliekat

halliekat

This may sound silly, so feel free to ignore me but I was bored so I Googled this problem and found another forum where someone was having the same problem, without the cat part, and was able to get it to boot by holding down the F8 key. Might be worth a shot.

15. winbob

winbob

Anything is worth a try, BUT you would normally depress the f8 key AFTER the Power ON button. The result should be to get you to a Boot Options MENU.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice