1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crashed aaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gstwilight, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gstwilight

gstwilight Thread Starter

My mother in law bought a computer with no support information. The other night it crashed and I don't have anything to recover it with. Is there a place that I can go to get a recovery disk or something? Please help!:confused:

2. columbo

columbo

Hi, Welcome to TSG.

Unless the system is manufactured by a big-name company (ie-IBM, Dell, Gateway, etc.), then I doubt a system restore CD would be available.
    Your best bet would be to obtain a Windows 98 boot-disk, then boot your mother-in-law's system using the disk, and re-loading Windows 98 or whatever version she's using.
    If you don't have a Windows CD, then you'll have to obtain one, unless you can provide more information about what happened, and we can possibly help you recover, so that you don't have to re-load the system. :)

Please post back with more info regarding the problems you're having. Please be specific in terms of error-messages and such.

3. gstwilight

It gives the message disk boot failure, insert system disk. I am not sure what happened, but this is what it says when you turn it on. I do not have a system disk for this computer.

4. ezymony

ezymony

if she bought a new computer it should have a boot disk and operating system cd if not she should go where it was bought and get a refund......or hardware

5. gstwilight

This isn't a new computer, and it didn't have any software with it. That is why I am asking if there is a place I can go and get whatever it needs to be fixed. I know that it had windows 95 on it, can I go buy a windows 98 os and reinstall?

6. john1

john1

Hi gstwilight,

I run Win 95 on an old machine.
    i may be able to help a little.
    Are you there now?

John

7. columbo

columbo

Hey,

What type of system are you using right now, to post these messages? You should be able to create a boot-disk by going to Start, Settings, Control Panel, then open up Add/Remove Programs. Then click on Startup Disk, and click Create Startup Disk. This should create a boot disk for you to use.
    I imagine that whoever owned this system before your mother-in-law, probably formatted the entire system.
    If the system has been formatted, you'll have to get a Windows CD (either 95 or 98), and proceed to install an OS on the system. Provided that the system is at least 200 MhZ or faster, I'd say that you should go with Windows 98.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice