1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crashed external - Dumb girl move

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CityMagick, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CityMagick

CityMagick Thread Starter

You know how you preach about back up, back up, back up...and you do it, but then there's that ONE time that you don't?

Old Seagate FreeAgent 1.5 TB stopped working; think it was the power supply issue that's discussed on lots of sites. Poked around on-line and found I 'might' be able to still get the data off of it, so pulled the drive out of the case. Now what? I bought a 3.5" enclosure, but realized that the power connector in the enclosure won't fit. I know, I know, you're shaking your head saying, "amateur". You're right. I'm also an underpaid Archivist who can't afford the cost of extracting the data off the hard drive, so I had to try it myself.

Is there something I'm missing (don't laugh)? I can't find specs drawing for the HD anywhere, otherwise I might be able to figure it out. Anyone out there willing to help a dummy out? I just need to figure out how to get this stupid thing running enough to pull the data off; it's almost a month's worth of work and the last 15 years of personal pics. Ugh.

2. ajkane

ajkane

Ok, do you know if the hard drive is a SATA or eFAT drive? If it is eFAT the data connector and possibly the power connector will be different then today's standards. On the picture attached is a molex to SATA power adapter the left is molex and the right is SATA which one looks like it would fit your hard drive? and which one is on the encloser? [​IMG]

3. CityMagick

Sorry, should have said it's definitely SATA, although there's a four pin connection about the same size as the short portion of the SATA. I'm guessing that's the power for it, but I'm not sure...

4. ajkane

ajkane

so the power isn't either of the 2 above?

5. CityMagick

Hopefully this will help...

[​IMG]

6. replay

replay Temporarily Banned

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice