1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

crashed system cant install OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by upsidexxx, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. upsidexxx

upsidexxx Thread Starter

i had a computer freeze today , i rebooted and it wouldnt get past post , just went to a black screen with no operating system start up , i rebooted again and tried to get into safe mode , but it stalls at a point where it says;
    multi(O)diskrdisk..etc etc Sys32drivers\Mup.sys

rebooted again with different BIOS setting and it goes through post , lists USB devices , PCI devices , IRQ settings and then stops after the last line where it says ACPI controller.

i went back in to BIOS and checked all boot priority settings , i tried to reinstall the operating system , but it goes through the windows installation dialogue , then stalls at the point where it says " Setup is starting wondows " and just hangs

i thought the HDD was faulty , so installed a brand new HDD , tried to install windows on that but get the same problem ., it just hangs and wont start windows.

any suggestions ,it is obviously a hardware issue , it cant be the HDD as i replaced it with a new one............... ???

Win XP
    gigabyte 945GZM S2
    duo core CPU
    kingston RAM 512 Gig
    Seagate SATA 80 gig drive
    using onboard VGA

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Does it ask you at any stage if you want to install SATA drivers, and if so do you install them?

3. upsidexxx

upsidexxx Thread Starter

no , it didnt ask if i wanted to install any

also these symptoms were the same when i had the previous PATA IDE drive in the system , identical symptoms as now with a brand new SATA drive

thanks ( from an Aucklander btw )

4. cosmic01

cosmic01

5. upsidexxx

upsidexxx Thread Starter

i scrolled through all the posts on that link , but nothing works that i tried

i am now trying a clean install of XP on a new HDD but it hangs when it gets to " setup is installing wondows "

surely this should work.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/578042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice