1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crashes caused by exception #'s 80000007 and c0000005?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by paulr24, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulr24

paulr24 Thread Starter

I recently built a pc for the first time and while it runs pretty well for the most part I have been having problems with random program crashes (including firefox, explorer.exe, games, etc) every once in a while. I initially thought it was probably a problem with the ram, and ran memtest for about 4 hours but it found no errors. I know that errors can still exist even if memtest doesn't find them, so I tried taking out a one gb stick (I have 2 gb installed) to see if the problems would persist. They did, so I switched to the other stick and still had problems so I ran memtest again with the one stick installed and got no errors again.

I just checked my Dr Watson log (which is now pretty huge) and found that all of the crashes have involved exception numbers 80000007 and c0000005 (almost all being c0000005). I know that that c0000005. If anyone has any idea what could be causing this error I would appreciate it.

Here is my setup:

Operating System: Windows XP Home (SP3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H
    Onboard Video: ATI Radeon HD 3200
    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 5000+ Black Edition overclocked to 3.0 GHz
    Ram: 2 GB OCZ PC2-6400
    PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500 W
    HDDs: Hitachi Deskstar SATA 320 GB (OS), WD 300 GB IDE (Storage)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!