1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crashes when playing hardcore games, need help switching to AGP 4x? Help Appreciated!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Logica54321, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Logica54321

Logica54321 Thread Starter

Hey guys, first post on this forum, bare with me. I have heard about people having the same problem as me - games crashing after around 5 mins of play, either rebooting completely or just crashing to desktop. Ive tried everything, except one which seems to fix a lot of problems, the AGP speed. I have an ATI 9100 IGP video card, and in options i see i have AGP 8x enabled, but i can change it to 4x somehow :confused: . I cant seem to find how to change this setting anywhere in the bios. Also i heard about "Smart Gart" with Ati's control panel, but the tab isnt there, and ive tryed reinstalling drivers and everything! I dont know whats going on, ive been tearing my hair out for weeks. If anyone can give me help on how to change to 4x, our guide me how to get some help, i would really appreciate it, thank you.
    Andrew

2. Sponsor

3. ratchet

ratchet

4. ratchet

ratchet

What is the make and model# of your Mother Board?

5. Logica54321

I installed the listed control panel, and this time i tryed to run Smartgart and it says it cannot be found. The wierdest thing was though, when i went to the options in this control panel, instead of saying the usual bus type 4x,8x, it now says 1x, 2x. It says my current bus setting is 2x. Anyway i dont know if that actually changed anything, let me know what you think.

My motherboard is an Asus P4R800-VM, with the ATI 9100 IGP chip and soundcard built in. Also as i read the motherboard package, it only lists 8x, so does this mean my motherboard only supports 8x while the 9100 supports 4x and 8x? Look forward to your reply

6. Logica54321

Also i thought i should add the rest of my specs incase u need them for further reference-
    Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz FSB 800MHz Hyper Threading CPU
    Asus P4R800-VM Mother Board
    Maxtor 80.0GB Hard Drive 7200 RPM
    5.1 Channels Sound Blaster Compatible AC97 Sound
    400 Watt Power Supply
    Samsung 171N 17" LCD flat panel display
    512MB DDR 400 PC2700 RAM Memory
    Built in ATI RADEON 9100 IGP

7. ratchet

ratchet

8. Logica54321

Ive tryed the new chipset drivers ratchet, and they dont seem to make any difference. Nothing really significant changed in the options menu and i still got the crashes.

I left a message with ASUS just now, i have my fingers crossed that they will soon reply.

Also, did you read about my AGP issue with the Mobo only saying it had 8x speed? Im just wondering if im wasting my time with trying to change it. If so, i have no idea what to try...

9. Logica54321

Well, i dont know what happened but theres no more crashing so far, which is great. Must be the new control panel link u gave me, which switched my thing to saying AGP 1x and 2x, and that i was set to 2x. I also noticed how gameplay is quite a bit slower than it used to be. Im thinking this must be because my AGP went from 8x to 2x? If you have any tips on getting it to 4x or ideas why i have no more crashes now, please reply

10. ratchet

ratchet

I skimmed thru the manual for your MB, did not see anything AGP setting other than setting PCI/AGP-AGP/PCI. I am assuming you have checked your bios/CMOS settings.

I would be trying to get it 8x, that is what you paid for.
    Let me know if ASUS replies with a solution, I was going to buy one of their boards for my next system.

11. Logica54321

I think maybe one of us is confused here. I had always had AGP setting at 8x, but that was when there were crashes on all my games. This is why i wanted to lower it to 4x, because I heard this would stop all the crashes in my gaming. Only place in my bios about the AGP is as you said- the PCI/AGP-AGP/PCI. Ive set it to AGP/PCI btw. I understand that 8x is the fastest and is what i paid for, but it seems the only way i can play games is if i lower it. Now my games dont crash anymore as I said, but it says I'm running at 2x now, which is probably why my games no longer crash

12. ratchet

ratchet

I see said the blind guy :eek:

Did you try backing off your hardware acceleration in Display Properties/
    Setting/Advanced while set at AGP 8x? One notch at a time until it doesn't chrash.

13. Logica54321

No, but ive seen the tab. I'll try to see if i can get it to not crash on AGP 8x by doing this. Thanks for all your help

14. Logica54321

After a while a playing, i definately see that there are less crashes, but im actually still getting them. One occured right when i was exiting my game, the computer rebooted, and another was after around 20 mins of playing a different game. Im so fed up with this new system....

15. _gizmo_

_gizmo_

don't give up man....

I've been looking everywhere for a solution to MY problem, and the closest i've come is you talking about your problem. No one has any troubleshooting docmentation on these ATI 9100 onboard video glitches. I've tried ASUS, ATI and Microsoft. My problem is, during boot, the video drops out for 1-2 seconds about three times. And then, when I click on the ATI tray icon it does i again. As if its refreshing or checking for a PCI card. I know it's not as big of a problem as a crash, but I built this machine for a wedding present that has to be ready in 3 days. Plus, the CMOS battery is going out, cause it keeps losing the bios settings about every 6-10 hours. I can't give up, and neither should you. I've tried every driver (including ATI Catalyst), every setting (including hardware exceleration), the only thing that works is uninstalling the video driver. I know I could just stick a good PCI video card in, but I got this one so they could use the tv-out. I can't buy another one, cause I'm broke now. So, keep trying and I'll do the same, until we fix both of our problems.

16. Logica54321

Gizmo, mine does the exact same thing. I actually dont know if this is a glitch though, does the same kind of thing with the blank screen for a second when you click the ati control panel, and some other times. I wouldnt worry to much about it, unless somebody else knows more about this issue. Nothing seems to be too bad with my bios, except i cant change AGP speed in it anywhere. Let me know if you figure anything out. Also, does the card play games well, like counterstrike for instance, any game that isnt ancient, cause i would like to know if its my video card causing the crashes. Hope i find something soon.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/245548