1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Crashing and VPU recover

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scuba_steve3, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scuba_steve3

scuba_steve3 Thread Starter

I have this annoying problem that i believe has somthing to do with my video card. When I play a game like Warcraft 3, when i am a couple minutes into the game the game might freeze for a couple seconds then minimize to the desktop and have somthing like "VPU recover has reset your video card because it has stopped responding" or the screen might just all of a sudden go completely black and I can't do anything and I am forced to restart my computer. I have the latest catalyst (4.4) and I tried to update my motherboard drivers but that just brought more grief because it kept asking for window's DLLs and I couldn't find them. Then!!! my CD-ROM started acting up :rolleyes: and it would disappear. Well anyway that doesnt have anything to do with my topic so just ignore it :D
    Well any help would be appreciated, these crashing troubles have been going on for about when i first put the computer together, maybe a month or two afterward. It has been on and off. usually I try to fix it by system restoring a while back but that is a pain :D
    oh yeah I have a ATI 9600 Pro, and a gigabyte motherboard: GA-8IPE1000-L
    --andrewm--

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You will need to have intact motherboard drivers before the ATI drivers will function properly.

You could try turning off the VPU Recover in Display Options, but that doesn't solve the problem because the card is clearly recovering from some error.

Reinstall your motherboard drivers and then reinstall the Catalyst drivers and Control Panel.

3. scuba_steve3

scuba_steve3 Thread Starter

hmmm I was sifting through some other posts like this one and one guy changed his AGP setting to 4x from 8x. I did that and I havent had a crash since. The only problem is that it is 4x :)

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The difference between 4x and 8x is a lot less than the difference from 2x to 4x. You may not notice any difference. If you have FastWrite enabled, the AGP speed makes little difference.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You will not notice a lot of difference [relative to performance] between 4X and 8X. It is true that some boards just do not like the have 8X enabled, however it also can be something else such as mb / chipset drivers or incorrect video driver install.

Is this just in the one game, or does it happen with any graphic intense operation? I would reinstall your mb drivers, then install the video driver. The proper way to install ati drivers is to uninstall first from control panel> add / remove programs. Reboot and then install your CAT driver.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice